0. These Kinds of Wounds Last

・:*:・゚✩𓆩♡𓆪✩・:*:・゚

Audrey Dawkins was tightly holding her brother's hand as they walked past numerous people who were busy with their own lives

"Remember, Auds, what your task is," Jack reminded his little sister.

"Yes, Jack," she replied nervously.

Ten-year-old Audrey was no stranger to her task. She knew that Fagin was lurking somewhere behind them, excitedly awaiting their new prize. Sometimes, it would be a few coins but sometimes they would be lucky enough to steal some jewellery or a pocket watch from a gentleman who was in too much rush to notice that he was lighter by one possession. And often Audrey would be the distraction. Either she asked if the victim had seen her parents or she would pretend to be asking for little money for food. Her thin and fragile body could only prove her words but she was able to count the number of generous people on one hand that even gave her something. Not even an innocent face like hers could melt the ice cold heart of the wealthy people.

"Look at that man," Jack bent down so that he could whisper those words in his sister's ears. "Can you distract him?"

Audrey nodded and she earned a light pat on her shoulder.

The siblings didn't need to discuss anything else as they had grown used to this routine of theirs. Jack left Audrey alone while she approached their target with slumped down shoulders.

"Sir," she addressed him shyly.

He looked down. "Yes?"

From a closer look, Audrey knew why Jack chose this man specifically. He was wearing a fine uniform which highlighted his officer status. But that also meant that they had to be very careful. If they were caught by him, she didn't wish to know the consequences. At the same time, Fagin had been recently putting pressure on them to bring him better things than a couple of coins so their act was partly out of desperation.

"Would you be kind enough to spare me a coin for a piece of bread?" she asked innocently.

At first, the man only stared at her. Thanks to that though, he didn't register Jack who was silently approaching him from behind.

"What's your name?" he said suddenly as his expression formed into a considerate one.

That question surprised even Audrey. None of the people she spoke to had ever asked her more. They would usually wave her away or walk past her without giving her a second glance. Sometimes, they would just push her out of their way and she would unfortunately land in the dirt on the floor. But not this man.

"Audrey," she answered softly. For a second she even contemplated lying but she knew she'd feel guilty for it. And she doubted she'd ever meet this man again.

"Audrey," he repeated. "Where are your parents?"

"I..."

Audrey had no chance to finish her sentence because suddenly another officer joined them. What was a very unfortunate luck because he came directly from behind which meant he instantly bumped into Jack who had just managed to pull out the man's pocket watch.

"Hey! What's that in your hand?" the officer asked.

Jack immediately panicked as he hid the treasure in his pocket and wanted to run away but the officer's reflexes were better than he expected. He caught him by his shoulders before he could run away from his reach.

"Run!" Jack called after his sister.

It took the man a second to recover but when he reached out to touch Audrey, her instincts kicked in as she spun on her heels. She heard Jack's struggle but she remembered their plan. If something like this were to ever happen, she had to run no matter what. Jack would be able to get out of it. Fagin would help him.

Once she found the old man, Audrey told him exactly what happened. Fagin reassured her that he would deal with it and she only had to wait. So she did.

Audrey waited.

But a day had passed. Audrey had not eaten as all she could think about was her brother. She pictured him helplessly lying in a freezing cell. But Fagin promised he would help. Then where were they? Why had neither of them come back for her?

Why?

・:*:・゚✩𓆩♡𓆪✩・:*:・゚

Welcome to the prologue!

I usually use prologues to get more into the OCs and truthfully I wasn't planning on writing one at first but I think this one really opens up Audrey's past at least a bit so I decided to publish it.

There's one thing I'd like to clarify... Currently I don't have any access to the series since the site I have been using isn't good for me anymore and the new site I found does not have The Artful Dodger. Luckily, I was able to plot it so I have everything planned but if there will be anything that doesn't completely match the series, I apologise. I will probably use transcripts for the scenes I need but I am definitely not giving up on it. After all, I will not abandon Chris & Audrey ;)

I hope you liked it!

Sincerely, writingmagic 💙