iii. teardrops on my guitar

I FOCUSED on the vials in my hands, trying not to shake. I had to be precise, to get the exact amount of liquid into the left vial. I took a deep breath, about to dribble the substance.

A firm hand lingered on my shoulder and I yelped in surprise. Drew, my science lab partner, chuckled at my over dramatic reaction. 

"You're so cute when you're scared," He smiled at me.

Butterflies in my stomach bobbed and my heart fluttered. The experiment began to fizz, light red bubbly fluid spilling out the containers and pouring all over the table. Drew, ever the hero, snatches some paper towels and mops up the mess.

"I'll go get new supplies," Drew says and he leaves, and I watch him go.

I wonder if he takes note of the fact that when he walks by, I feel like I can't breathe. The butterflies in me pulse with energy, when he goes by me so perfectly. He's the kind of flawless I wish I could be, maybe that's why I'm crushing on him so hard. Because he has what I don't. What I wish I had. Opposites attract, am I right?

Drew gives me a funny look, catching me staring. I fake a smile so he won't see right through me.

"Y'know, you're really something," Drew blurts unexpectedly as we finish our lab project, and I'm collecting our science materials in my arms.

"Something? Like what?" I ask lightly, trying not to spoil the moment as we scrub the table.

"You're smart, nice, pretty, good music taste," Drew grins at me for the last one and pauses for a second, the beat he waits is when my heart quickens its pace, beating during the silence. "I wa-," he stops his words mid sentence, frowning.

Please. Please say what I'm always thinking. Please say what I hope you'll say.

Say that you want and you're needing, everything that we should be, just like I do.

"I wa, what?" I press.

"Nothing," he replies, then glancing up at me. "Hey! I forgot to tell you. I met this girl, I'll have to tell you about it later when I get the time."

I nod, forcing myself to suppress my ache.

Later, as I'm driving home, a song comes on that reminds me of him, so I sing along with it because I can't help myself.

"He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know whyyy I doo," I belt, peeking at the review mirror.

I see the glimmering night sky, full of stars, full of wishes. So I take a chance, a shot.

I wished on a wishing star that night, that Drew would feel the same for me as I do him.

────────────── ⋆ ⚘ ⋆ ──────────────

Drew and I are in the library, we finished our language arts homework and our English teacher likes me, so she let us hangout here until the end of the period. Drew grabbed a Shakespeare book and he's talking like characters in such a hilarious voice that I laugh 'cause it's just so funny.

The librarian, with her old lady glasses and scowling demeanor shushes us. 

"I didn't even see her," I giggle.

Because I can't even see anyone else when you're with me. I don't even care like those unpopular girls in the movies would, they'd want to change if they were speaking to a guy as cool as Drew. But I would never, because I don't ever see them judging. All I see is you, Drew. Can't you see that?