III

Chapter Three

Genuine question but Weed or Nicotine ?

CALISTA ASTOR

"You need a lighter," a voice suddenly says behind me, causing me to jump. I turn around, my heart racing, to see who spoke.

I clutch my chest, trying to calm my nerves. "You scared me," I say, eyeing the man who appeared out of nowhere.

He chuckles, a deep sound that resonates in the air, shaking his head as he offers me a lighter.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. I noticed you were struggling, thought I could lend a hand," he explains, walking towards me and onto the balcony, his black and white suit and tie making him look dashing.

"Thanks," I reply, grinning as I take the lighter from him. It's only now, standing beside me, that I really start to take in his appearance.

Butterflies erupt in my stomach, and my hands start to sweat. This man is breathtakingly handsome. My heart beats faster as I take in his tall stature, his hair slicked back revealing a striking face and sharp jawline. His grey beard adds a touch of ruggedness, and his Italian skin looks soft even in the dim light. His green eyes meet mine, and I have to look away, trying to ignore the pounding in my chest as I light my joint.

The flame from the lighter briefly illuminates the darkness. I take a drag, inhaling and exhaling the smoke, feeling a sense of relief even as I cough. Being new to smoking, I always cough when I inhale the weed.

I glance back at the stranger, feeling his gaze on me, sending shivers of desire through me. "Want some?" I offer, holding out the joint with smoke curling from it. The atmosphere shifts, and instead of fear, I'm overwhelmed by an intense attraction to him.

"Sure," he replies in that deep voice, taking the joint from me. He smokes, the weed disappearing into the night sky.

I'm captivated by him, feeling nervous and enchanted by his presence.

There's something about a man smoking weed that grips me with a mix of emotions and attraction. After he's finished, he passes the joint back to me. He coughs a little, smiling as he looks at me.

"Sorry, it's been a while," he says, hands in his pockets.

I smile back, letting the wind carry away the smoke as I take another drag. The silence between us is filled with the soft sounds of jazz music and distant conversations.

"So, what's a beautiful woman like you doing up here alone, smoking?" he asks, his voice deep and strong.

"Escaping from reality," I reply.

He nods. "From reality, or the people downstairs?"

"What if I said both?" I say, clutching the strap of my purse.

"What if I said I believe you?" he responds, looking into my eyes with a warmth and intensity that makes me feel even more drawn to him.

"Well, I guess you shouldn't tell me then, should you?" I tease.

"I guess not," he mutters quietly. The butterflies in my stomach intensify, and I feel a burning desire throughout my body and mind. The silence returns, but the tension between us grows warmer and more intense. My heart races, and butterflies fill every part of me. He looks at me, taking in every detail, biting his lip as he scans me from head to toe, his gaze lingering on my brown eyes as I glance at his green ones.

The moment is broken when I hear my name called from the distance. I look down and see Vanessa searching for me, calling out my name.

I sigh, knowing my time with this captivating stranger is coming to an end. "I have to go, but thank you for the lighter," I say, offering it back to him.

"Keep it," he says in his deep, rich voice.

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. "Really?"

"I have plenty more. Keep it," he insists.

I'm speechless as I hold the lighter in my hand. "T-Thanks," I stammer, looking down as I slip the lighter into my purse. I take one last look at him before leaving the study room. There's something about this man that leaves me mesmerized and entranced, struggling to breathe. When I look at him, my thoughts jumble, and butterflies go wild.

As I walk down the long stairs, a sadness fills me, knowing I might never see him again.