Chapter 1

1.

Dove

When I was a child, I never gave much thought to the color of the sea. It was always just there, wild, and merciless on somedays, giving and inviting on others. I remember coming here as a child, feeling the salty air wrap around me as soon as I stepped out of the car running all the way up to my grandmother's house. Wrapping my tiny arms around her waist, inhaling her scent of pastries and vanilla. This was my sanctuary then.

I can no longer see the waves crushing against the cliffs, I hear them ruthlessly coming in as if they're trying to move the ground beneath my feet and take some of it with them as they retract out to the sea. I would let them if I could. Just like I let the wind play with my long red hair. Or at least I think it's still red, I haven't seen it for months. I haven't seen anything in months. I lost both my sight and my memories at the same time, or so they say.

Now I'm balancing on the edge of the cliff, hearing the loud sounds of the waves, and wondering if I should join them.

"Dove!" Amy grabs my arm and pulls me away from the edge. I can't help but to feel a little bit disappointed. "What are you doing here? It's not safe for you out here alone, come on we've talked about this" She continues. She was not fond of the idea of me coming here, she gave me a long list of rules to follow before agreeing to drive me here. Standing on the edge of the cliffs was on the list of things I promised her not to do.

I give her a small smile and let her guide me back to the house. I probably know the way better than her even though I can't see it. She's the coach mom hired; her job is to coach me into my new blind life. The chances of me getting my sight back are slim, so I might as well adjust the doctors tell me.
"Do you have the key?" She asks.
"Yes"
"Wait here, I'll just check if..."
"If the bloods gone?" Sarcasm is my only friend right now.
"Are you sure that you want to stay here?" I can hear the doubt in her tone. No one in their right mind would want to stay her, blind or not.

My great-grandfather owned this land. There usedto be a big castle like mansion here. But before that this was a place wheretrials took place and sacrifices were made. The blood of the innocents markedthe ground, leaving it tainted, forever haunted by what happened here. Or sothe legend says.

The mansion is nolonger here. My grandfather's sister Renate burned it down on a cold Octobernight and then she hung herself from an Oaktree that used to stand in front ofthe mansion. Something happened to the tree when the ashes from the mansiontouched it. Now it's in a dark color, almost black and nothing dares to growclose to it. There's a hollow part in the tree, when the wind reaches it from aspecific angle it sounds like sad soft cries. The kind of cries that grip atyour heartstrings and gives you chills prickling down your spine.