TWO.

---

"And time's up."

The preliminaries are officially done, and I whipped my head back to the front. I couldn't shake off the unnerving gaze that man gave me.

But something struck me. I knew him from a past time loop.

Kaz.

He was known as a genius detective, who caught criminals and solved cold cases, one after another. I could only wonder what he'd be doing this time.

I bet he'll also be getting down to the mystery of this entire thing, but I don't want him to get involved. Things might not work out well.

The tablets have been lowered down to the floor through the same hole they rose from.

"After this exam, expect a gold card in your possession after your break. If you do not receive one, then that means you are ineligible for the next phase," Dr. Keele announced. "Please keep your gold card for verification on the next round. You are all dismissed."

Immediately, teenagers trickled out of the room, discussing the recently concluded preliminary exam. I could hear what they said—so many of the people here doubted that they will pass.

Because of my extensive education, I found the preliminaries to be a bit of a cakewalk. Eli made sure to train me for situations like this. She's always very thorough with everything.

As I was about to exit, I felt a hand grab my wrist. I whirled around to see Umbra with a boy I swore I saw before.

The girl behind them wasn't familiar, however.

"Hi, SS! Wanna grab lunch with us?" Umbra asked, a hopeful smile on her face.

I would be rude to refuse Umbra. "Sure, why not?" I shrugged.

She squealed in delight, and grabbed the boy's hand. "Yay! Come on, darling!"

The boy chuckled. He had a lazy grin, but I saw his eyes, and it was so...lovestruck. I schooled my face to look neutral, and just walked behind the three of them.

Where did I see this boy again?

I forced myself to remember that boy. Last I remember, he had a relation to Umbra, just like this one. But I'm not sure if he acted this way before. Maybe not.

I trailed behind, trying to remember his name, until Umbra's bouncing curls disappeared from my immediate line of sight. I was so lost in thought that all of a sudden, I was being yanked to an empty room.

I found myself face-to-face with the mysterious man in the trench coat, Kaz.

This will not end well.

"I know what you're planning," Kaz began. "It all seems a little too...easy now, no?"

My eyebrows were knitted in feigned confusion. "I'm sorry?"

"Don't play coy with me, SS. I know what you're planning, and I want in."

I knew it. "Kaz, I think it's best that you let me handle all this myself—"

"Oh, pray tell, what is your plan? Trust me, this will all end badly."

Your involvement in this will make this mission end badly, Kaz.

"If you want to ensure that this gets done quickly, let me get involved in this case," Kaz demanded.