Chapter 6: Fetch

The next room held a series of doors. DogDay looked around. The slides for the upper management were there. He felt a stab of fear when he saw Elliot's name. He looked around for the door to the stairs.

"There!" DogDay spotted them.

DogDay reached out and gasped at the click of the lock of the door at the top of the stairs. Damn, it was locked. He twisted his claw around in the hole. It was a risky move to spring the lock from there, but he had no choice. He managed to open the door. So far, so good.

DogDay took a deep breath, opened the door behind him, and saw the stairs.

He failed to notice the little eyes peeking out at him from the lower floors, not until he heard a snarl. DogDay glanced down and felt his heart drop. The Mini-Wuggies glared up at him, baring their sharp teeth.

"Oh no."

DogDay took a step back. The lead Wuggy, a small blue one that resembled Huggy Wuggy, took a step forward. It seemed like a signal for all the Wuggies to let out one loud roar. That was enough for him.

He turned and ran up the stairs.

A loud shriek echoed behind him like a death knell, followed by the sound of frantic but very small footsteps. DogDay glanced down and nearly fainted at the sight that greeted him.

Wuggies, what looked like thousands of them, were all after him. Most were down on all fours, chasing him like a pack of wolves. And, yes, DogDay understood the irony. He was more focused on the Wuggies who could somehow climb the walls and were hurling themselves at him. He turned and swung out with the satchel, knocking them away.

Stairs stretched up and up, but DogDay could see the door ahead! Pain shot up his ankle. He cried out and kicked out, sending the Wuggy who had gotten too close back into the crowd. But they were all closing in and in, too close for comfort.

DogDay needed to get them away, hopefully distract them so they didn't chase him.

The door was where he came to a stop, turning. The Wuggies came to a stop, trapping him to the door. They didn't attack. They probably knew that they didn't need to. DogDay was doomed.

"Back off." DogDay lashed out his claws.

That didn't work as well as he hoped. Some did flinch, but none of them backed off. He thrust his bag at them. "I said, back off-"

A Wuggy leaped at him. DogDay screamed, especially when the Wuggy landed on his stomach. It tore into his fabric-like flesh.

DogDay threw it off him, but a thought occurred to him. He turned to the crowd. None had approached to provide back up, instead staring at him and snarling.

He sees a piece of meat by him on the ground.

"Do you want this?" DogDay asked, holding out the meat. Most of the Wuggies' eyes followed it, while a few stared fiercely at him. Until he threw it down the stairs blindly, feeling the squish of an organ. 

"Here... here, it's all in here!" 

The Wuggies turned and ran back down the stairs in one chaotic mass, just like when they were chasing him. DogDay sighed in relief, leaned against the door.

At least, until the door opened and sent him tumbling.