Bk1 Ch1: Once Upon a Time

Love awaits in the royal court of Cordonia as Riley competes for the Crown Prince! Will she accept his proposal, or will someone else win her heart?

__________

Those who found love with the right person, in the right place, at the right time, and the right life destined for them were rare. With how unpredictable life may be, not everyone was lucky to be destined with all of the key factors that would culminate for the biggest blessing from life itself.

One night's chance encounter changed the lives of people who would become a close-knit group of friends in more ways than one.

Once upon a time, Riley Brooks was a young lady who resided in New York City. She was a fair-skinned, beautiful lady with dark ebony tresses and Dutch-braided bangs. With soft doe-like eyes and peach-coloured lips, Riley had met her fair share of suitors but none with whom she felt a longing connection to.

After working as a part-time waitress to put herself through school, she had finally graduated with an undergraduate degree and a Master of Arts degree in history from the prestigious New York University. At last, she was ready to explore the world beyond lecture halls, late night study sessions, and thesis dissertations.

"Just another glamorous New York Saturday night of hauling trash to the dumpster." Riley sighed, heaving a stuffed black bag up where it would join the other garbage that had been piling up that night.

At the current moment, however, she was stuck on a late-night shift at the restaurant and bar where she had worked for the last six years. With all her might, she hoisted the humongous black garbage bag which landed on the others with a soft thump. She dusted off her hands, looking warily over her shoulder with the barely lit back area of the brick building.

There was something about the back alley of the building where she threw out the garbage every night that made her uneasy, partly due to the fact that drunk party goers tended to loiter there in the dark when veering off course from the streets and sidewalks. Luckily for her, she had her favourite coworker, Daniel, by her side to help.

"It could be worse. There could be—" Daniel, her co-worker had started before letting out a frightened yelp and darting away from the dumpster, "Rats! Riley, help!"

Riley glanced down at the sight before her, taking note of two adult mice and two baby mice. As they scurried away, she laughed. "Don't tell me you're afraid of this adorable mouse family. They're trying to get by, just like us."

"Hey!" A booming voice yelled out, making the two co-workers turn around. "Riley, Daniel, quit slacking off over there!"

If there was one thing Riley was ready to embrace, it was the fact that she had finally given her two-week notice to her boss. After six years, she would finally be out of his clutches and no longer have to hear constant nagging from him about every minuscule detail she had made the mistake of carrying out in front of him.

"You told us to take out the garbage," Riley reminded him, a scowl deepening as she remembered how insufferable her boss was.

"And now I'm telling you to wait on the bachelor party that just rolled in. Chop chop!" The manager barked out, clapping his hands for emphasis before
storming back inside the bar.

__________

Meanwhile, it was the night of Liam Rys' bachelor party. Two of his friends plus one acquaintance had organized a clandestine night out in New York City before they returned to Cordonia for the social season.