1❀ Don't you remember?

Cora, you got the job! I will see you tonight.

They say feeling overwhelmed is an emotion. But it felt like a sensation took over my body and brought a burst of life into me. I had been unemployed for six months, and I couldn't stop smiling at the fact that my life would change today.

My smile was soon wiped away by the winter cold breeze as it seeped through my flimsy old worn-out coat while I walked the streets of New York on a busy Friday afternoon. I let out a loud huff, annoyed at the thought of being late. I desperately needed this job.

Pushing and squeezing my way through the dense crowd, I stood on my tip-toes, scanning the area in an attempt not to pass the street I was looking for. Yet, without warning, the piece of paper I thought I held securely in my hand felt to the ground from a gust of wind. I was on the edge of frustration and close to screaming out. If I lost it, I might as well give up on the chance of eating this week. I bend down, and I immediately scan the ground for it.

I chuckled when I found it, thanking my guardian angel for stopping the wind for a second for me. I looked at the address again and read it out loud, "541 Wall Street." Checking my watch, I picked up my pace, I turned the corner and walked a few blocks before I came to a stop when I found the street name. I let out a deep breath and garnered the little confidence I had left and walked towards the medium-sized building.

It looked cozy and warm with brown reddish bricks, black windows, and big silver words that read, 'Armstrong Communications.' It wasn't big like the other businesses around it, but something about it called to me. I stared for a while until I couldn't anymore, or I would be late. Hesitantly, I pulled the black glass door open and walked inside the building. I scanned my surroundings. Everything screamed money. It was cozy but elegant with dark brown wood floors and cream color paint perfectly coating the walls. A few interesting pictures with metal frames were dotted scarcely on the walls. Black couches were positioned like a real living room to my left, and straight ahead was a long, curved black counter where a young woman with a black pixie haircut was answering the phone.

Straightening my outfit, I walked slowly towards the young woman. She didn't notice me right away. But when she did, her eyes catched mine by surprise. They were a dark brown color, almost turning to a black. She was very pretty and had her makeup done a way I could never achieve on my own.

"Miss, can I help you?" she asked, looking confused as to why I was here.

"Hi, I'm here to work," I said, hoping she was not going to make this harder than needed to be. "I am one of the servers." I added smiling.

"Oh... for the party," She smiled at me, finally understanding, and looked at her clipboard, "I need ID to check on my approved list."

I nodded my head and retrieved my drivers license. The one piece of ID I had left, not that I believed I could still drive. It had been a few years since I'd last did.

"Very well, you can go ahead to the back. The other servers are starting to set things up."

"Thank you." With that, I followed her directions and headed to my destination. Fully awakened now, I straightened my attire once again as if by doing so, it would change the level of class I had. I didn't fit here, and my clothes screamed that. As I walked towards the back where I was told to go, I took a moment and continued to take in the interesting place. Yet, before I could look any further, a deep masculine voice got my attention, and I quickly turned around to face the man who was standing a few feet from me.

"What are you doing? Come on, there is far too much work to be standing around." He coaxed, taking my hand and dragging me like a child; which made me a little annoyed.