3❀ Right as rain

Cora's POV:

My hands felt like two blocks of ice when I finally slowed down. It was only a few blocks from the building, but I could finally breathe again. I pulled the fancy black jacket that the strange man gave me tighter as I stood beside Stiles Farmers Market, trying to warm myself up.

I needed to plan my next move. I thought of places I could go, but I didn't have a lot of options. Despite that, I built up my courage and pulled myself away from the wall, and turned onto 9th Avenue, headed towards the nearest shelter I knew. It was just after nine p.m. and I knew it was a long shot, but it was better than staying out on the cold.

I arrived quickly. The front of the shelter seemed quiet. It was not a good sign. I opened the door, and the aroma of food made my stomach grumble. I smiled when I saw Linda, one of the volunteers. Yet my heart sinks when she shakes her head as she makes her way to me, and I knew it wasn't good news.

"Sorry Cora, we don't have a spot for you tonight." Linda sympathetically said.

"It's alright. It was a long shot anyway." I answered, trying to sound less crushed.

"Come earlier tomorrow. You know how busy this place gets." With that, she touched my shoulder and stopped me before I began to walk, "Stay safe tonight, Cora."

I nodded, acknowledging what she had just said, taking an extra minute inside because I do not want to face the cold just yet. Placing my hand on the door, I suddenly freeze at the feeling of vibrations in my jacket pocket. Frightened, I slowly put my hand in the pocket and pulled out whatever was making the noise: a silver shiny fancy looking phone. Great the sexy weird man forgot his phone. I touched the screen, and it said an unknown caller.

"Aren't you going to answer, sweetheart?" Linda asked.

"I don't think so," I shyly admited. Perhaps I could sell it and buy myself a night a cheap motel.

It rang again.

"Come on, answer it." Linda pushed.

Even if I wanted to, I wasn't sure how to do so.
being homeless meant no fancy cell phone. I only knew how to work my black flip phone.

Linda placed a plate down on one of the tables and moved towards me.

The silver phone continued to vibrate in my hand, I focused my eyes on the screen and saw the name Brianna Johnson. I wonder if that's his girlfriend? Of course, a man like him would have a pretty girlfriend.

"I have the same phone," Linda told me, inspecting it. "Just swipe the green button to answer. It's an iPhone."

I gaze at her like she had three heads. "This one?"

"Yes." She encouraged me.

Hitting the green button, I answered. "Hello."

☆☆☆

Twenty minutes later, I found myself sitting in Jane's Coffee Shop, sipping my extra small, very expensive coffee, which I knew I would regret buying when I got hungry later. I gazed out the window as I waited for Mr. mysterious to show up. It had been so nice of him to give me his jacket, but he had forgotten to go over his pockets first and forget to take his cell phone out. The moment I answered the phone, the deep sexy voice made my heart skip a beat. How could someone I just met affect me this way? He was so different, such a gentleman. Still, I felt there was more to him than met the eye.

Grabbing my cup of coffee, I held it in my hands for an extra minute. I could finally feel my fingers again. The sweet aroma of pastries made my stomach grumble, but I fought the urge to march up to the counter and buy a strawberry Danish. I needed to save the money, as I didn't know when I would be able to work another party. The door opened, and my blue eyes met green eyes. Mr. mysterious stood a few feet away from where I was sitting; shaking the snow off his hair.