Chapter 1

*gore warning 

-------

Vermont was covered in blood. Its scent burnt her nose as the iron fuelled liquid coated her skin in a murderous glaze, sweeping over her bare arms lie a warm blanket. Death hovered over her shoulder watching her massacre with a close eye, preparing himself to reap the souls of the guards who had done nothing but harm her, who had kept her locked away, the guards who had harvested her young soul and turned her into a bitter monster. With each body that dropped to the floor a new splatter of blood joint the crimson that painted her skin, creating a portrait of vengeance that Vermont could only surmise as sweet. Bodies fell around her, their blood spreading around her feet like the red sea. Her bare feet were sticky with the thick liquid, leaving footsteps from the unfortunate creatures that held her body down as they took everything she had left, as they stole her sanity, her soberness, and her dignity.

The knife hung from her hand, the blood creating a glue-like bond that kept it there, in her other a gun, her fingers caressing the trigger, ready for anything that may meet her as she began to approach the stairs that led up from the basement she had been kept in since she was 8 years old.

She hadn't exactly been quiet, and she wasn't going to try to. She wanted them to know she was coming, that this was her last hurrah, even if it killed her.

Vermont had been planning this day for years, waiting for them to feed her enough information and to train her so that she would be as deadly as any weapon. They knew she could be quiet, stealthy like a mouse; they knew she could take them all out quickly and mercilessly, and she also knew that they probably knew that this day would be coming which is why she believed that had been upping her dosages lately, keeping her high as a kite, almost immobile and stuck in her head. But Vermont was smart, she knew how to trick them, she had been for the past year, letting them dose her enough that she would be red eyed and stoned but not enough that she would be unintelligible, she would play it up, laugh at the walls if she had to anything really to make them believe that her tolerance to their lethal cocktail hadn't grown, to make them believe that she hadn't overcome the drugs.

Before she approached the stairs, she decided to tuck her knife away in the back pocket of her jeans and instead replace it with another gun, checking the barrel of both guns she deemed that she had enough bullets to kill the rest of the people in the house. The same 12 that had been with her since she was young.

Her bare feet creaked on the staircase, and the knob of the door freely open as she twisted it, you see the people who had kept her hostage for all these years had always had a 24-hour guard on her, so she never truly had the chance to escape like she did now.

As the door swung open 4 guards stood, all four prepared for this moment with their guns drawn and pointed at her. Before they had a chance to realise, she had ducked and shot both guns, killing the two closest with a swift bullet to the head, the other two had more time to recuperate and realise the movements Vermont had made, both adjusting their aim and shooting at the dark-haired girl. Just as they had fired Vermont had fired too, once more choosing a swift headshot, but just as both had dropped to the floor a bullet from the left guard whose blood was beginning to seep into the floorboards pierced through her uncovered arm and imbedded itself into the cells of her skin, letting her blood join that of her victims.

Vermont stayed still for just a second, letting the sounds of the house settle and using her training to find those who remained. Following the six guards in the basement and four just now, there should be only two rats left, scurrying somewhere in the walls of the house like the pests they were.

Lucky for Vermont a guard, probably thinking Vermont had moved from her position begun to come around the corner, his eyes searching before landing on the blood soaked killer that stood before him, she smiled, the image something satanic, and before he had the chance she brought one of the guns up and shot him in the chest, making his eyes roll back and for him to collapse in a loud thump.

One left.

Now Vermont walked, letting her bare feet thump against the floor, she knew who was left, the woman who had been a nightmare, the one she thought had cared for her before she begun to pump her full of drugs and let the guards have their way, Vermont was like a snake and she was ready to sink her teeth into the old bitch and let the poison eat her from the inside out.

She found her in the kitchen, her long skirt and cardigan with perfect pin curls portraying the picture of a loving carer, but Vermont was an orphan and she had learnt the hard way that there was no such thing as family, no such thing as care or love and this woman was just a symbol of the gods laughing at her and rubbing it in her face. The women steeped her tea in a pretty pink mug and before she had the chance to bring the fine China up to her lips in the cream kitchen that Vermont had only seen on rare occasions, a bullet pierced it, shattering the glass and making the brewed water splash onto the woman's chin and neck, causing the hag to let out a shriek of pain.

The fair woman turned fully and tsked as she looked at Vermont, taking in the blood and shredded singlet she wore, her black curly hair soaked in blood that weighed her curls down into waves and her tan skin looked morose and pale against the harsh depths of the blood.

"You always were trouble, ever since you were a kid" she said which made Vermont's lip curl.

"I was innocent, you bitch".

"Oh, poor Vermont, always playing the victim" she rolled her eyes, "you're a monster, look at what you've done know you stupid girl".

Instead of talking back to the worthless woman Vermont cocked her gun, letting the shell of her last bullet fly out, the women stopped speaking and watched the movement, her eyes darkening, and her lips held a tremor.

"You're not going to kill me, there will be no one left to love you".

"You don't love me" Vermont replied icily, and the woman's eyes widened, her fate becoming clear.

"They won't let you get away with this if you kill me, they won't, they'll find you no matter where you go you stupid girl, you're safer here, if you listen to me" she began to tell Vermont, her voice bordering on pleading.

"I know they won't, let them find me, let them see what they've created" Vermont replies her red stained lips pulling up into a smile. The woman went to talk again, went to plead more but Vermont had become sick of her whiny voice, sick of the way she had been treated, sick of this nightmare of a house.

With one last smile Vermont raise both guns and shot the woman, shot her so many times that her face became unrecognizable, and her guns had run out of bullets.

"Happy birthday to me".