Chapter 1: Leaf Fall

It was a cold autumn evening in Piltover. You took a breath of the crisp air; In a way it smelled so sweet and fresh. You could feel the wind against your skin. You traced your finger tips along the cold steel of the balcony. You opened your eyes to see the dark clouds overcast, threatening to cry across the land while the sun still barely kissed the ground. You noticed the trees as you saw some of the leaves fall, their color, once alive and green, now gone to red, and soon they will turn brown with decay. That was the way of life. You felt happy, and free.. Especially after finally graduating Piltover's Academy of Techmaturgy. You had already settled into your own lab, fit for your own inventions, and you were getting ready for Progress Day. You had a wondrous idea; A water and air filtration system for Zaun to help clear away all that smog and pollution, and make the Slums a little more habitable. You had spent days in your lab working yourself down to the very bone to ensure that everything was in tip top perfect shape when the day came.
You gave a soft sigh before heading back into your lab. You sat down and looked at your desk.
You pen was somewhere, you made note to look for that later; Your blueprints were scattered all over your lab, you had parts in a completely unorganized manner that only you knew where things were, your tools were in the tool box, at least close to the right places. The large filtration systems sat in the very middle of your lab. You leaned back into your chair, your back and feet hurt, your eye lids were heavy, you all around felt pretty, spectacularly, and wondrously exhausted. Yet you were proud of yourself. Progress day was in 12 days time, and you met the competition tomorrow.
You decided to get as much work done as you could tonight. You rolled your chair over to the machine,
and you began to work. You connected circuits, solder here and there, screw that piece in, change that gear, all the small things. You lost track of time after midnight and ended up falling asleep in your chair. When you wake up and look at the clock, you see it's 8:45am. You yawn and stretch before getting up and looking out the window. The sun has already greeted the grass and dried up it's morning tears that make the dew. You rubbed your eyes a little before walking (and slightly stumbling) towards your desk again. You picked up your bag and sighed. "Time to head out for the day" You thought to yourself as you made it to the door and sling your bag over your shoulder. You left out the door, walked downstairs, and made it into the streets of Piltover.. It was a wondrous city.. but it always looked so plain, everyone looked the same to you. Not that you'd bother to remember anyone anyway. You were an inventor after all, advancing mankind and all that.. What were the chances you'd even meet them again? Slim to none. As you walked you pulled a letter out of your bag. It was for Progress Day, it gave the information of where to meet for the competition.
You sighed.
"Back at the Academy"
You muttered to yourself.
You walked down the sidewalk, passing the markets, passing the faces of many who you'd never remember. Soon you made it to the Academy's gates.. It feels like just yesterday you were entering the gates for the first time.. Your shoulders slump slightly as you felt a small ball lump in your throat.
"Where'd all that time go? Was it worth it? Did I waste it? I could've done so much better.. There was so much I could've done to have fixe-"

"Y/n!"
Your thoughts had been interrupted by a familiar voice, you turned around to see who it belonged to.

"Jayce! It's been so long!"
You spoke with a slight chuckle to your tone.

You held out your hand for a handshake, to which he took then pulled you in for a massive bear hug; His cologne slightly suffocating you in the process. Your eyes squeezed shut as you gave him an awkward pat on the back. He eventually let you go and you were able to catch your breath. Jayce had this large stupid grin on his face as he gave you a hard pat on the back.

"Damn right it has!"
Jayce laughed as he placed his hands on his hips and looked you in the eyes
"So how's it been? Working all by yourself I hear"