Chapter 1: Cassius

On a quite beautiful day in the middle of August, my chamber doors were thrown open to reveal a tall, intimidating figure: the King, also known as my father. He always found a way to dramatically burst into my room when he had something to discuss with me, or other important news to deliver. It was a habit that he simply couldn't shake. Then again it was always fun, at least until he burst in at inopportune times, such as when I'm barely clothed, standing in front of a mirror, preparing for a lavish bath.

As the doors flew open, I yelped and grabbed my robes, covering myself as quickly as possible. "Father!" I yelled. "Why don't you knock?"

"Why don't you lock your doors?" he sassed, disregarding my partial nudity and stepping closer, sky blue and white cloak dragging on the floor behind him.

I managed to finally cover myself fully. "What do you desire?"

"Esme sent me, naturally." He gave a small smirk, simply for the fact that he knew I would hate the next words that came out of his mouth. If Mother sent him, it was always the same.

"She's hosting another gathering," he said. "And of course, all the women in the land are invited, because apparently you can't get your act together and choose a princess to marry." He scoffed and rolled his eyes, though it wasn't at me. Father was on my side about this issue. On the other hand, he knew things that Mother didn't.

I tilted my head back and groaned loudly, dragging out my voice into something that was surely unbearable. "But, Father! That's the third time this quarter. Can't you spare me of another wretched ball?" I groaned and moaned on as I complained. Perhaps it would show him how truly hateful I was, though he already knew. "Can't I skip just one? I'm so tired of all the women and the dancing and the small cheese platters and the heavy clothes! It's atrocious." I threw myself onto my bed. Now if my mother was standing before me, I would have been torn from limb to limb verbally, but Father understood. Yet it still surprised me how he tolerated my fits. At least I cleaned up my act decently in front of others. This was the only true chance I had to throw myself down and cavil. My life was truly difficult.

Father groaned at my antics. "Cassius. Pick yourself off the floor and get ready. It's tonight."

"Tonight?!"

"Yes, tonight. I am well aware that these situations are unpleasant, but please just entertain your mother. Dance with a few women. Make it at least seem like you might be interested."

"But how can I act so interested when I'm not?" My bottom lip stuck out.

"The same way you act interested in your geography lessons."

I groaned again. I wasn't that good at acting. How does a man court a woman he doesn't even find attractive? How does a man court someone that they wouldn't dream of spending a life with? It was all too much effort, and far too much thought.

"It doesn't matter," Father spat, then sighed. "Just make your appearance. The night will be over before you even realize. I'll see you before dusk." He then turned on his heels and took his leave before I had the chance to protest more. The doors shut behind him.

When would this nightmare end?

I slowly removed my robes once more and sunk down into the bathing pool. I now had peace and quiet, but I no longer had peace of mind.

Would Mother ever stop this torment? We'd been on this for about two years now. The moment I turned eighteen, all she seemed to care about was finding me a wife. A king needed his queen, after all, but did he really? There were much more important things to worry about, such as— I don't know— learning what I needed to do as a king. As silly as I'd admit to be, I took great pride in our kingdom and it's future. It laid on me, after all. The people would always come first. Either she didn't understand that, or it wasn't of her concern. Regardless, she should be as aware of it as I am. She was just as active in ruling the kingdom as my father was, yet she taught me nearly nothing, leaving my education and guidance to my father an other miscellaneous teachers. Those people were all fantastic, and took my teachings very seriously, but her lack of interest still aggravated me.