Chapter Eleven

"I've brought another letter for you elder Matias."

Matias lifted his eyes from the parchment that covered his desk. His features were sunken and pale. Though at his age of existence, he'd stopped noticing; he knew he was beyond pale. One could see the grey veins under his skin, his thick robes of dark rose and reddish gold draped over his thin skeletal form. Though he looked near emaciated, the Elder Vampire was a powerful and feared being.

Unlike the kings who used wraiths, he like other Elders had slaves. Currently one was serving the purpose of a footstool, as he shifted in his chair to look at the young squire at the door. He leisurely waved the squire over, the boy moved forward, his eyes lowered.

Matias's long fingers reached out, pinching the edge of the letter. His sunken, cold eyes met the squires. "Are you new?" he asked, his voice was thick like syrup. He still carried the accent from a point in his life when he lived among those in Russia.

The young vampire gave a sharp nod.

"Ah," he lifted a finger and motioned the boy forward, "Come closer, my eyes are not as well as they used to be, a half-century ago."

As the boy stepped closer, his expression was wrought with confusion. His innocent eyes barely blinked, when his throat slowly started to bleed. The skin was peeling back, as his head fell backward detaching from his shoulders. Head and body hit the ground in an unmoving heap.

He flicked the blood from his fingers, Matias muttered to himself, "They do not make vampires as they did in the olden days. They are all rude and incompetent now."

"Sebastián!" He yelled.

After a few minutes, a tall male appeared. His expression empty of emotion, his silvery-grey hair pulled back in a queue. Not looking at Matias, he grabbed up a knife and used it to open the letter, "It would appear you will need to find me another Squire, this one," Matias clicked his tongue, sending a disgusted look to the dead vampire. "He failed to knock before entering. I abhor rudeness."

"Yes, elder," Sebastián said coolly, after handing the now open letter to Matias, he turned setting the knife down and moved forward. He gathered both head and body before he headed back to the door.

"Oh, and Sebastián," He called.

Sebastián paused at his call, "Ready my usual supper for tonight," commanded, as he removed his legs from the back of the shivering Slave before continuing, "And send a notice to the king of the fifth kingdom that I will be visiting," Sebastián nodded, before continuing on his way.

Matias lowered the letter to the table and tapped his well-polished black nail against to table top. As he grinned, "It would seem our fifth king has ignored my command, once more."

The light of the fire flickered over the letters words.

The king has taken a human concubine. He seems intent on having his child be half-human. - Mask

~E.L.K~

Stella stretched her arms above her head. Her body shifted beneath the covers. She groaned as she pressed her face closer to the pillows. She sighed as she felt warmth settle in her belly, her hands twisting in the blankets. She opened her eyes barely before she closed them once more. She was tired.

A second went by before she jerked up, her eyes wide as she looked blankly around the circular prison she'd been dropped in yesterday. She quickly threw the covers aside, rushing over to door she grabbed the heavy, iron door handle. Jerking on it with all her strength, she gritted her teeth, but it didn't budge. She let go, releasing a frustrated scream. Whipping around, only to stop short at the sight of a steaming bath in the path she'd just used to run towards the door.