Taking Care Of Business

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Ellen asked Mike as they sat in the car outside the hotel where her mother and sister were staying.
"You haven't met MY mother yet," he grinned.
"That bad huh?"
"Not exactly, it's just...you'll find out when we see her at Christmas."
"Tell me again why she isn't coming to the wedding?"
"Who knows? I think she just didn't want to travel all the way to Hawaii. Us going to Texas for the holiday was the compromise we worked out. That way we come to HER."
He smiled, took her hand. "It's not too late for you to back out out of the whole deal ya know. You can still save yourself."
"Very funny. You're stuck with me Mister. Now let's get this over with before YOU decide to run away."

II
"Let me see that rock," Vicky insisted first thing. "Impressive-you did well Tex."
Elizabeth Raymond appeared confused.
"Oh that's just something she likes to call him to irritate him."
"Well he IS from Texas." She left off the teasing to hug her sister at last. "I missed you El. He must be treating you right though. You look great."
"She's too thin."
"Mother do you have to start in on her already?"
"Simply making an observation."
"Well can you just be nice for once?"
Ellen watched her mother struggle to shape her stern face into a more pleasant expression. "It really is wonderful to see you," she said, giving her a stiff embrace.
When they parted she requested, "introduce me to your young man."
"Mother this is Michael."
"My, you're a tall one," she remarked, looking up at him. (Ellen's height and hair color had both come from her father.)
"6'2" without my boots," he told her.
"Handsome as well."
"I don't know about THAT Ma'am."
"And polite."
"Mama taught me manners," he said in the slightly joking manner Ellen had instantly found endearing.
It worked on her mother as well. She actually smiled as she extended a hand for him to take. "I'm Elizabeth Raymond. You are..."
"Nesmith, Michael Nesmith. Nice to meet you Ma'am."
"Finally." She turned to her daughter. "You know it's customary to allow your mother to meet the person you're dating BEFORE you get engaged."
"It was kind of a spontaneous decision," Mike tried to explain.
"Apparently. How long have you actually known each other?"
"Mother this isn't an interrogation."

"I'm not allowed to ask questions of my future son in-law?"
"We met almost a year and a half ago," he responded. "She came into the club where I was playing."
"You're a musician?" She seemed to disapprove for what Ellen knew were obvious reasons.
Vicky snickered. "Only one of the most famous musicians in the world right now. He's a Monkee."
"A what?"
"That's where it gets a might complicated. I'm a musician, but I was hired to PLAY a musician in a fake TV rock band called The Monkees. We actually have our first actual concert coming up though and we're gonna try and play together for real."
"So you're a musician AND an actor?"
"I guess so."
"And this TV show is popular?"
"So they tell me."
"Why haven't I heard of it?"
"It doesn't start airing in England until the end of December," Ellen contributed.
"You work on this show as well?"
"In a sense. I'm one of the creator/producers, Bob Rafelson's personal assistant."
"Working together doesn't put a strain on your relationship?"
"Actually there are advantages to having Ellen on the set."

They shared a look, a secret, knowing smile, and then there was a brief awkward silence.
"Why don't we get some lunch? After, if you want, you can come to the studio and see what we do all day."

III
The episode they were filming that day was called The Son Of A Gypsy. Once again, James Frawley was the director.
"I must say, it seems a bit of a strange occupation for four grown men."
"The show is tailored for families to watch together."
"The young girls love them," Vicky added with a bit of snark.
Before Ellen could scold her sister they were interrupted. "Raymond, I gave you and Nesmith the MORNING off, not the whole damn day. Shouldn't you be working?"
"Yes, Bob."
"Get to it then. I need tomorrow's itinerary today."
He glanced at the two women. "Did I authorize visitors to the set?"
"Actually you did. Bob this is my sister, Vicky and my MOTHER."
"Shit sorry." He colored slightly when he realized what he'd said. "Excuse my language, ladies. I'm Bob Rafelson, Ellen's boss. She's doing a great job for us."
"I'll remember you said that next time I'm due for a raise."
"Is that smart-mouthed Texan rubbing off on you?"
"Oh she's always been that way," Vicky insisted.
He smiled. "I guess you two are just the perfect match then. Lord help me. One is bad enough. Now get to work. When you're done with the itinerary I need you to set up a couple of more things for the Hawaii trip."
"I've got to go. I'll check in with you when I can. If you get bored I'll have someone drive you back to the hotel."
"She seems to work pretty hard," Vicky observed.
"While HE plays."
"I'm sure it takes a lot of effort to make it look that easy and fun."
To illustrate the point a Texas drawl suddenly cut through the imposed quiet of the set. "What was wrong with THAT one Jim? Do we really have to do it again?"
"You'll do it until I'm satisfied Nesmith. The faster you get it right, the faster we can all go home."
"You mean YOU can."
The end of filming only meant the BEGINNING of another concert rehearsal for the four Monkees. They had to run through their entire set list for the show in Honolulu, perhaps more than once. It consisted of some of their greatest hits as well as a song for each member of the quartet which would highlight their own individual style. Mike's was a Bo Didley tune called "You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover."
Vicky couldn't help remarking during the oft-repeated refrain, "Oh can't you see Oh you misjudge me. I look like a farmer, but I'm a lover. Can't judge a book by looking at the cover" "From what Ellen says, he's not lying." "About?" Ellen asked as she rejoined them. "Oh I was just pointing out what a stud you told me Tex is in bed." "Victoria must you always be so crass?" their mother complained but with what actually appeared to be a slightly amused grin. "The guys will be here for quite awhile yet, but I can probably leave now if you'd like to get some dinner," Ellen said, changing the subject. "That would be nice." "I'll be right back." They were between songs, and she used the opportunity to approach her fiance. "I'm going to take Mother and Vicky out to dinner. I'll see you at home." "It could be pretty late." "Just wake me up when you get home," she whispered somewhat seductively against his ear. "That's my naughty girl. Can't get enough of my lovin' can you." "You know it," she told him, placing a chaste kiss on the little mole just above one of his sideburns.

IV
It was nearly two in the morning when he finally entered the room they'd recently begun to share. Not long ago they'd purchased a bigger bed, and the woman he loved now lay in it deep in dreams, her lovely, bright hair falling over the pillow where her head rested. She'd left a nightlight burning for him, as thoughtful and solicitous as ever.
For a moment happy tears came to his eyes. He loved her so much, and in just three days she'd be his wife.
He undressed quickly, not wanting to be separated from her for any longer than necessary. He could hardly wait to hold her, make love to her. He slipped between the soft sheets, naked, lay down next to her, caressed her cheek, kissed her gently. She opened her eyes, looked at him with sleepy adoration.
"Hey Baby, I'm home."
"Yes, you are," she whispered, entwining her legs with his.
"Miss me?"
"Mmhmm."
"What did you miss?"
"Everything, all of you. This bed feels so cold and lonely without you."
"Let's warm it up then," he told her, his hands slipping under the little crop top she was wearing to palm her breasts, his thumbs tracing her nipples. He removed the shirt and focused on her neck, alternating kisses with strokes of his tongue until she was almost purring like a cat.

He slid her snug night shorts down her long legs and off, drew her to him. A hand crept between her thighs, readying her for him.
"Now I'm REALLY home," he sighed as he sheathed himself inside her.
"How do you want me?"
"Just like this, nice, slow, and easy." He kept her body pressed close, one of her long, limber legs crossed over his waist, rolling his hips gently. Never had he been so aware of the difference between simply fucking and making love. This was almost a spiritual experience as well as a physical one, something he'd never known with any other woman. It was perfect.
"You're the love of my life Marie," he told her in a rare moment of complete emotional vulnerability.
"Michael," she breathed, her fingers curled in his soft, thick hair that she loved so much.
She trembled as she was suddenly overwhelmed with an orgasm that seemed to stretch on for even longer than usual, her body gripping him tightly in her pleasure. It always felt incredible when she did that, and this time he allowed himself to be swept along with her.
"Shit, I'm gonna...God Baby that's so good!"
He continued to hold her close to him, kissed her gently.
"Sing to me, Luv."

"Crazy, I'm crazy for feeling so lonely
I'm crazy, crazy for feeling so blue
I knew you'd love me as long as you wanted
And then someday you'd leave me for somebody new
Worry, why do I let myself worry?
Wondering what in the world did I do?
Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying
And I'm crazy for loving you
Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying
And I'm crazy for loving you"
She'd fallen back to sleep before the last note.

Definitely check out Nez singing "You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover." The song he sings to Ellen this time is Patsy Cline's "Crazy." Don't know if he ever actually sang that or not, but he liked Patsy Cline because he covered her "I Fall To Pieces."