(15) the blacks.

(16) the blacks

(16) the blacks.

THE BLACKS had lived a complicated life -- a life worth living

THE BLACKS had lived a complicated life -- a life worth living. They were one of the few pureblooded families that remained untainted, their blood perfect and pure, not muddied -- not many could say that. There were new generations of pureblood families that were on the rise, but the Blacks had been here since the beginning -- they were the backbone of the community, everyone looked at them with adoration or fright. Walburga preferred when their eyes had both in them. Walburga was born to be an ornament, someone to put on display and parade around -- she wasn't a fool, she knew with her brother in the picture she had no way of being the sole heir of their family. Alphard had the gall to act bothered about it, walk around and pretend he was above it all. 

Walburga did everything an heir should, but when she realized all her efforts would go unnoticed she found another way. Orion Black. Orion was malleable, a simple man -- a simple man with a simple mind that had simple needs, but unbelievable power. It wasn't out of the norms to marry into your own family and so Walburga weaved her web, and Orion got trapped in it. Silly man, he never quite realized what she'd done to him, he believed because she didn't look him the eye or speak against him, he was the one in power -- but it couldn't be the farthest thing from the truth.

The truth is if you let men believe they're the ones in power, they never quite doubt it. Orion could walk around boasting as much as he wanted, about the wealth of the family, his wife being the most dull person to talk too but the best lay he ever had, his brother and his brother's wife, the Blacks being the Most Noble and Ancient house. Walburga didn't care, she worked behind what everyone saw, she worked tirelessly and she didn't care if her children saw her as the enemy, she didn't care if her children saw her for who she truly was -- hard, cold, relentless, and a monster. To be honest, she didn't quite care about what they thought of her at all, some days she did -- she cared a lot, those were the good days. The days her children thought of when the bad days clouded everything around them. Those were the days that made her children stay as long as they did.

Walburga knew the blame was on her, because Orion was the simple minded man and she was the one working the puppets, but the blame still came down on her with a harsh strike. She had always had a scattered mind -- it was something that was just there, always, no matter how much she tried, how much discipline she tried to include in her life -- it was always there. She had seen it in Sirius too, so she'd done her best to beat it out of him, cast as many spells as she could, but in the end Walburga was no better than her parents -- she cast imperio and let him walk around, unaware of himself, because it was just easier that way.