002 What's In Your Head?

She knew there were people around, she just couldn't see them. Her music was too loud, her eyes were too focused. As her shoes hit the pavement one after the other, KT was in her own world. Had her hair been pulled out of the high, tight ponytail she'd pulled it into, the wind would blow through it beautifully. But she wasn't aiming for beauty - she was aiming for the best.

Her track team had gone home an hour ago but she needed to stay. She told them she was waiting on Moon, who was there with the cheer team, but that was only half of the truth. In reality, KT was trying to run the anger out. That morning, Yasmine had told her that she needed to get out and do something about it, or else she'd have wrinkles a lot sooner in life. That was the least of her problems, wrinkles, but the thought made her realize she couldn't keep going to bed angry every night. She couldn't keep remembering Eli's teary eyes and broken, raw voice.

Running ultimately didn't help like it once did.

Instead of letting go, it got her heart rate up and fueled her anger even more. Despite trying to shut her brain off and just let the music move her forward, those thoughts invaded her mind. She thought about how Eli must have fought back, how scared he must have been when they cornered him, how awful it must've felt when he realized what they were there to do.

They didn't didn't even use a set of clippers! They shaved his head with a fucking barber's razor! Where the fuck did Robby even get that? Who even uses those anymore? She scoffed and kept her breathing even, her eyes ahead of her and steady. She didn't care how long she'd been there, she kept going. She wouldn't stop until she had to.

Though she might have had she looked out once in a while, she might've seen some familiar faces talking to some girls on the field...

Miguel was with Sensei Lawrence trying to recruit some girls to Eagle Fang since they'd found out about some recent changes to the All Valley Tournament. A girls division being added threw a wrench in their plans for training as late now that they'd need at least one female member of the dojo in order to up their chances of winning. Not to mention the skills division but Miguel thought that they should deal with one thing at a time.

As they were leaving, after finding that most girls already in sports didn't need karate, they were approached by Moon. Well, mostly Miguel was approached by Moon.

"Hey, Miguel," she greeted cheerfully.

He stopped and offered a smile. "Hey, Moon. What's up?"

She made a face. "Apparently some perv was creeping on the soccer team, so we're gonna practice inside. What are you guys doing here?"

"Recruiting for our new dojo," he told her.

Sensei Lawrence jumped in and announced the cool name he'd come up with. "Eagle Fang Karate."

Miguel had an idea. "Yeah, you know, you should join, actually."

"Really? Yeah, that sounds fun," she said with a smile, but then thought about it for a second and frowned. "Wait, do I have to hit anyone?"

"Hell yeah, you do," Johnny answered enthusiastically.

She shook her head. "Then no, sorry. I-I can't do the physical aggression thing." However, Moon being Moon didn't want to make them leave empty-handed. "You know, you should ask my ex."

"KT? She already said no," Miguel told her.

At that moment, KT flew by them on the track, her feet practically pounding out the concrete. She didn't even realize they were there, her eyes fiercely on something more important. She was there and gone in a matter of two seconds.