Losing a family member - George Russell

You are with George walking through the paddock. It is another race weekend and you both are excited for this one. Yesterday and this morning during free practice the car looked good and quick. George was constantly up in the top 3. Charles and Max were the other two in the top 3. George has his eyes on a place in the top 3 and of course you also hope he will be up there. It has been some time since George could qualify high and finish on the podium, so you hope this will be the weekend it happens again.

For now you two take a stroll through the paddock, enjoying each other's company and wind down before George is needed again to prepare for qualifying. The paddock is buzzing with energy. You often enjoy talking a walk through the paddock. Just watching the teams work and people enjoying the sessions and the race, makes you calm and happy somehow. While you and George take a walk, you feel the adrenaline rising for qualifying. Just thinking about it makes you feel excited. However, you have a feeling in the pit of your stomach since a few hours. As if something is going to happen. You don't know where this feeling is coming from and why you have it, but it is clearly bothering you. Even George has picked up on it as he asks if you are okay. He can see something is troubling you. You sigh and shrug your shoulders.

''I am okay, but there is this feeling in the pit of my stomach and I don't know why I feel this. It is as if something is going to happen. Something terrible. I never felt this before and it feels very strange.''

George stops with walking and now looks at you with a concerned face. He is noticing how it affects you and can see the anxiety on your face. ''How long have you been feeling like this?''

''A few hours,'' you answer softly. ''I didn't want to say anything to worry you. And also because maybe there won't be happening something terrible and my gut is just wrong.''

George now closes the gap between you two and embraces you in a hug. ''Lets hope that feeling you have won't be coming true. But whatever happens, I am here with you and I will protect you.''

Being in the arms of George helps you calm down a bit. But the feeling persists and it is nagging you. You try to ignore it as you and George resume your walk and talk about something else instead. While walking, you come across Alex Albon and Lando Norris, who are in a conversation together. The two of you decide to say hello and join them in their conversation. George walks a few steps in front of you and greets them. A few seconds later, you join them too.

''Hey Y/N,'' Alex greets you. ''How are you?''

''I'm doing well, thank you,'' you respond with a smile. ''And how are you two? Ready for qualifying?''

Because George is close to Alex and Lando, you also got to know them pretty well and out of all the others, you feel the most comfortable with them, just because you have been around them for a longer period of time and have known them for longer. The feeling you have goes to the background and enjoy the time with your friends. However, when your phone rings and see an unknown number, the feeling is back and in full force too. George immediately picks up on it and looks at you with a worried look. You excuse yourself and distance yourself from them and the crowd and pick up the phone.

''Hello?'' you say when you have answered it.

''Hello, am I speaking with Y/N Y/L?'' you hear a man ask.

''Yes, this is her. Who am I speaking with?''

''You are speaking with the police department. I am calling because of your sister Y/S.''

You feel your heart starting to race and the anxiety creeping in, but manage to keep yourself as calm as possible. ''What is going on? Is she okay?''

There is a short pause before you hear the heartbreaking news you never hoped you'd hear. ''I regret to inform your sister has been involved in a car accident. When we got there, your sister was found unconscious in the car with multiple injuries. While we extracted her from the car, she lost pulse and did our best to revive her, but to no avail. She died on the scene. There was nothing we could do. I'm sorry for your loss.''

It is as the world has stopped. You cannot believe your ears and you can hardly get any words out. Tears start to form. ''What? That can't be true. Please say this is a joke or something. Please.''

Your voice cracks because of the emotion. ''I'm so sorry,'' the police officer says softly.

''No! No, no,'' you cry out and the tears start to fall down. You can't say anything more, because you now fully break out in tears and can't stop them. Sobs escape your mouth and you can't get any more words out. You feel someone pulling you closer and know it is George. When you picked up the phone, George could tell it was bad news you were receiving by your body language. When you started to tremble, he rushed to you and pulled your closer to him while taking the phone from you to take over the conversation. The police officer explains what happened and gave George some information about the whereabouts of your sister and if he could do something for them. George told him he would handle it when you have calmed down a bit and thanked the officer before hanging up the phone. Alex and Lando, who know something is wrong, decided to give you some space and went away.

George slowly sinks to the ground so you both sit down. You cling to him and cry in his arms. You can't believe you sister is gone. You just talked to her yesterday and now you won't talk or see her anymore. You just can't believe it. Your sister you love dearly, is gone. Just like that. George knows you and your sister were very close and told each other everything. You talked to her almost everyday. George whispers soft words to you and holds you in his embrace. He too has his emotions, but holds them in for now for your sake. The news of your sisters passing has also shocked him, but the most important thing for him is you. His emotions will come later.

After a while you have calmed down. You still sniffle a bit, but the tears have stopped falling. When George feels you are steady enough to stand again, he helps you up and lead you to his drivers room, where you sit down on the couch with your knees pulled up to your chest. George makes a cup of tea for you and sets it down next to you on the table. He then places himself next to you on the couch and pulls you closer to him again. And just like that you sit there in silence, the weight of the news settling in. George has his arms wrapped around you and makes sure you are okay under the circumstances. It offers silent support. You are glad you have George. You know he is there for you and will support you, through thick and thin. You find comfort in his embrace and know you will face this loss with him beside you and you are grateful to have him. You lean more into his embrace, finding solace in his presence. You know you won't face this alone. He will be there, every step of the way.