ⅩⅡⅠ

𝟐𝟎.𝟎𝟕.𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟓

It took Linda about ten minutes to make her way down below the corrals and through the grove of cottonwoods to the place Eric had told her about. She hadn't been down here before but when she came through the trees she understood why he'd chosen it.

Below her, at the foot of a curving bank, lay a perfect ellipse of meadow, moated beyond by an elbow of the creek. It was a natural arena, secluded from all but trees and sky. The grass stood deep, a lush blue-green, and wildflowers grew among it of a kind Linda had never seen. She waited and listened for him. There was barely a breeze to worry the leaves of the cottonwoods that towered behind her and all she could hear was the hum of insects and the beating of her heart.

Eric said he knew Frank wouldn't mind if she rode Rimrock, but Linda wasn't happy about it so they settled on Rubin, Eric's little paint. Like every other horse she'd met here, he was sweet and calm and Linda had already made friends with him. Не was also a better size for her. She heard a branch snap and the soft blow of the horse and she turned and saw them coming through the trees. Не rode by her and steered Rubin and the other horse gently down the bank to the meadow.

' Eric led Rubin and the four of them walked out into the meadow. Butterflies lifted before them, making way in the shin-high grass which smelled warm and sweet with the sun and the crushing of their boots. The creek here ran shallow over gravel and as they came nearer, Linda could hear the water. A heron lifted up' and banked lazily away, adjusting his legs as he went. They reached a low stump of cottonwood, gnarled and overgrown, and Eric stopped beside it and coaxed Rubin around so that it formed a platform for Linda to mount.

-That any good?-he asked.

-Uh-huh.

Не stood at the horse's shoulder, holding him steady with one hand and Linda with the other. Rubin shifted and Eric gave him a stroke on the neck and told him it was okay. Linda hoisted herself up onto the tree stump.

-Okay?

-Yes, I think so.

-Are the stirrups too short?

-No, they're fine.

-Okay. Keep hold of me and, when you're ready, put your right hand on the horn of the saddle.

Linda took a deep breath and did as he said. Rubin moved his head a little but his feet stayed rooted. When he was sure she was steady, Eric took his hand off her, reached down, and took hold of the stirrup. She lifted the leg and swung it high and sideways and over it went. She settled herself into the saddle and was surprised it didn't feel more alien.

Eric stepped aside with his eyes fixed on her in case something happened, but she was too much in her own head to notice this. She gathered the reins and nudged Rubin forward. Не moved out without question and she walked him in a long curve along the rim of the creek and didn't look back. They reached the end of the meadow and turned.

Linda lifted her eyes for the first time and saw Eric standing there among the flowers waiting for her. She rode an easy S shape back to him and stopped and he grinned up at her with the sun in his eyes and the meadow spreading away behind him and Linda suddenly wanted to cry. But she bit hard on the inside of her cheek and grinned back down at him instead.

-Easy as pie.-he said.

Linda nodded and as soon as she could trust her voice said yeah, it was easy as pie.

Eric suddenly mounted the other horse. It restlessly veered forward but Eric sharply whoaed him.

-Off we ride.-he said and Linda gave him a perplexed look.