𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞; 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐞𝐧𝐝

"This doesn't seem, I don't know, inappropriate?" Jamie held her coffee cup in both hands

"This doesn't seem, I don't know, inappropriate?" Jamie held her coffee cup in both hands. Her gaze shifted between the 911 Operator Supervisor Sue and Josh, the Senior Operator, at the centre.

"We're not asking you to take them to a gun range," Sue gave Jamie one of her soft smiles as Josh spoke to her, "We just want you to show them the ropes".

Jamie glanced at the newcomers. They looked lost. Jamie imagined she didn't look any different on her first day.

"Don't I need some sort of qualifications?" Jamie asked. Josh found that amusing. He laughed and Sue shook her head. Jamie sat her cup on the counter beside her, "What if I mess up? Or what if-".

Sue placed her hand on Jamie's shoulder. "There is no one more qualified than you, Jamie. You have experience that neither Josh or I have". Josh nodded in agreement, "And if you mess up, no one's perfect".

Jamie's shoulders relaxed slightly. Josh knew she couldn't say no. "Okay," Jamie scratched her temple. "Alright, I'll help".

Josh smiled, he turned toward the dispatch room and pointed, "I knew you would," Josh started walking and Jamie followed, Sue smiled and held her clipboard to her chest, "A or B?" Josh asked.

"Um," Jamie's brows furrowed, "B?" Jamie answered.

Two women in red shirts, identical to the one Jamie wore, stood in the middle of the dispatch centre waiting to be led to a desk. The others were already paired off with dispatch operators who'd been there much longer than Jamie. The woman on the left — she held a notebook in her hand — looked a lot less frightened than the woman on the right.

Josh stopped in front of the women. Jamie stopped next to him, "Hi, I'm Josh Russo, Senior Operator and this is Jamie Chen, our resident police officer turned dispatcher," Jamie smiled at them, "Linda, you're going to be with me and Maddie, you'll be with Jamie. There'll be a rotation after lunch if all goes smoothly".

Jamie's eyes widened, "Why would you say that?" Jamie asked, "The last time someone said that a plane crashed into the ocean," Jamie reminded Josh.

Josh didn't reply. He walked off and Linda followed him to a desk.

"Police officer turned dispatcher? That sounds like a story," Jamie led Maddie to a desk.

The story behind her temporary job change was not one that she shared with new people. Josh and Sue knew the full ins and outs but the other dispatchers only knew what they heard over Jamie's 911 call and that was enough for them to not ask questions.

There were two seats at the desk. Jamie sat in one and gestured for Maddie to sit in the other. Maddie opened her notebook to a clean page, "What did you do before?" Jamie handed Maddie an earpiece.

Maddie hesitated for a split second, "I was an ER Nurse," Maddie answered.

Jamie logged into the computer and put in her earpiece. Her eyes scanned over the screens. So far, they had no call. "I wanted to be a nurse when I was younger. What made you change?" Jamie asked.