Chapter 2

“You dare speak like that? In my home? About my family?” Alcina asked in a dangerously low voice. “You speak as though you have no respect for my family or me.”

Veyle didn't say anything. Her left eye twitched in anger. Her head stayed turned, not looking back at Alcina. She wasn’t moving but her breathing was heard, fast and uneven but it sounded like she was trying to force herself to be calm.

“I have put up with everything you’ve done. I’ve put up with the rumors. I’ve put up with the broken vases.” Alcina grabbed Veyle’s jaw, forcing her to look up at her. “But I will not tolerate your disrespect.”

Veyle stayed silent but her eyes, which were a gorgeous garnet color, were showing her pure anger. She was holding back, her body shaking in anger and with how much she was holding back. She was so pissed off that she would in fact fight Alcina if she had to.

“You have no right. I have given you a home, I took you in, I treat you well, my daughters may have their moments but they treat you like a friend. And this is how you repay that?” Alcina raised an eyebrow in anger.

Veyle let out a very low and faint growl. She just glared up at Alcina, who returned the glare with equal anger.

“Maybe we were too easy on her.” Cassandra said, walking over to the two. She had her sickle in hand and put the blade up to Veyle’s neck. “Maybe we should punish her like we do with the rest.”

Veyle didn’t get scared. She just stayed as calm as she could. She looked over at Bela, who was the calmer and more reasonable one of the four, but saw the anger and disappointment in her golden gaze. Veyle took a quiet breath in and let it out softly.

“I apologize. It wasn’t my intention to come off as disrespectful to any of you.” Veyle said softly. She wanted to say more but didn’t.

“Hm. A simple apology won’t work this time, Veyle. You know that better than anyone.” Alcina still had anger in her voice and she wasn’t trying to calm down.

Still unfazed, Veyle only nodded quietly. She couldn’t change Alcina’s mind with a simple apology. Not this time.

“I did hold some fondness for you. It’s sad. You were one of my best maids.” Alcina said, her voice softening a tiny bit.

Emily just watched with a smirk, knowing she was gaining the ladies favor. What she didn’t realize was that Bela was also watching her. Bela had already been suspicious of her from the beginning, especially after Veyle started getting blamed for things. She knew Veyle was too smart to be doing the things she got blamed for but seemed to be the only one who thought so.

“I really do wish it didn’t have to end this way, Veyle.” Alcina said. “But you know the rules. I let you go without punishment for too long.”

Veyle just nodded again. Cassandra even seemed a little sad that her favorite maid was getting punished. Bela had been quiet the whole time, just watching Emily’s expression go from sadness to smugness. It annoyed her to no end but she kept herself in line.

“Follow me then.” Alcina let go of Veyle’s jaw and started to walk towards the dungeon, Veyle following behind quietly. Cassandra and Bela stayed behind, watching with a sense of sadness.