Chapter 2

The search for Steven Crawford continues. He was reported missing on November 5th and last seen on camera near his Seaside residence. Police are asking for any information—"

"Josh, turn that off," called out Mom over the TV. She had paused washing the dishes to prevent the running water from muddling out her voice. Josh reached for the controller mid-open-mouthed-chew and turned the TV off. Allison noted his greasy hands and winced. Allison and Josh were sitting at the dining room table, with still sizzling bacon, eggs, and orange juice in front of them. The table sat near the entrance of the kitchen where Mom was busy, plates clinking together, and the sink running again. Momo had claimed a spot next to the glass sliding door across the room. She slowly blinked at sparrows picking at the frosted blades of grass.

"So," began Allison, fork in hand. "Do we have any plans for the weekend?"

"Hmm, don't believe so." answered her mother, focused on washing the dishes.

"Can I go over to Caitlin's?" Allison waited with baited breath, her mother silent. The night before, Caitlin had asked for help searching through the book. She excitedly explained that she "figured everything out" and "can't believe I missed it." But she said that she wanted to unveil her discovery at lunch.

"Did her parents already say it was ok?" Asked her mother. She paused washing dishes, looking at Allison with an expression she couldn't read.

"Yeah."

"It's alright then as long as you finish your chores and homework." She waved a spoon to emphasize her words. There was the catch, but a win is a win.

"Oh and also, since today is my late shift, I can take  you two to school, do you want to—"

"Yes." Answered Allison briskly, she would take a car ride over a bus ride any day. After finishing breakfast she slipped away from the table. She brushed her teeth and hair and moved to her room to change into something comfy and warm. She heard her brother's protests against going to school from her room as her mother coaxed him to get ready. Allison grabbed her backpack and headed outside, making her way to the car. Lucky immediately noticed this and began barking. She clambered into the front seat of the car, pulling her backpack in after her. She was shortly followed by her mother and brother, her brother announcing his disdain for school.

The car ride was filled with mumbled complaints until Mom asked Josh about his friends. He went on about them and what they would do at recess. Her mom pulled into the drop-off area and waved Josh goodbye before heading to her high school.

"You've been quiet." Stated her mom

"Yeah, just been thinking," responded Allison. She had rested her head against the window, watching buildings blur by.

"About what?"

"Well the trimester is ending soon, and I don't know I'm just worried."

"I'm sure you'll do great honey."

She was quiet again, she wasn't sure. Her mom pulled into the parking lot of the high school.

"Have a good day!" Said her mom

"Thanks! You too!"

The sidewalk was dotted with a few students as they walked around campus. It wouldn't get busy until the buses arrived. Allison made her way to the door skidding to a halt when she spotted Hailey. She was leaning against a bland concrete half-wall that was located off to the side of the entrance. She wore a leather jacket with patches, matching her sticker-covered headphones. Despite the cold, she wore a black denim skirt along with a white shirt. Her short black hair was tied into two pigtails.