Munkustrap's Not There

It was the end of the Jellicle Ball and Mr.Misoffelees was still riding the high of saving Old Duetoronamy. As he sat and moved in his own energetic ways and squealed and mewed with delight, loving the feeling the sounds put in his mouth, Munkustrap and Rum Tum Tugger came up to greet him. Munkustrap gleamed with the sense of accomplishment only someone that works as hard as him could hold.
"Once again, thank you, Mr.Mistofelees. I don't think I was ready to declare the Jellicle choice by myself this year." Tugger chuckled, slapping Munk on the back with playful vigor. "Oh, can it, why don't ya! I didn't have any worry in my mind for a second. Misto has always been this cool. He was cool when he guessed which card was mine and he's cool now." Misto raced into Tugger's arms, letting the more muscular cat embrace him as he basked in his warmth. No matter what, Mr.Mistofelees always felt like there was some hidden threat, he never truly felt safe anywhere at any time, the only exception was when he was cuddled into Tugger's chest fur.
Munkustrap let out an exhausted laugh. "Alright, I will start cleaning up, you two get some rest. It was a long day." Munk started walking away before Tugger pulled away from Misto to grab his brother by the arm. "Not so fast! I will help you clean up in the morning. Demeter probably wants to snuggle with you. Don't think the Old Duet scare distracted us from the fact that you fought Macavity by yourself. You did a good job, you need rest too."
Munk sighed, nuzzling his forehead into Tugger's neck. "Thank you. I don't know how Dad had things so easy. Macavity was supposed to have this leadership role. I wish I knew what drove him away." Tugger let his shoulder drop a bit, petting Munk down his back. "Macavity was always rebellious as a child, but- to just catnap Dad?" Munkustrap shared a rare moment of vulnerability, letting soft sobs collapse out of him. "My head hurts. My head always hurts. There's just too much."
Tugger held him with the tightness that he used to ground Misto. "I know, I know, and I'm sorry. You don't deserve this. Try to relax, you do such a good job." Tugger looked over his brother's shoulder to get Misto's attention, mouthing to him "water". Misto scrambled up to get Munk a bowl of water and, if he could find it, a snack.
Munkustrap has gradually let himself loose, putting his whole weight on Tugger, now heavily crying into his chest. Munk can't remember the last time he cried, the last time he allowed himself to be upset. His brother, Macavity, leaving is what built those walls as he inherited this leadership role and it was only Macavity who took those walls right back down again. "He worries me. He also makes me worry. My poor Demeter- I guess I'm grateful in a way because that's how we came to be as a couple, but how messed up is that? How crazy am I?"
Tugger coddled him, hugging him close as he slid them both to the floor to sit. Munk straddled Tugger's lap, refusing to let go. "You're not crazy, you're a cat. As much as I am, no other cat is perfect." Munk couldn't help but deflate, giving a lazy slap to Tugger for the joke as Misto came back with a water bowl and a snack, figuring it's been too long since the Tom last ate.
Tugger helped sit Munk up as he held up the water bowl for him. "S-sorry." Munk managed to choke out between sniffles, wheezes, and licks of the water. Tugger petted the fur on Munk's head back. "No, no sorries. We care about you." Misto related to this feeling more than anything, the feeling of being a burden or worthless for needing excessive care. From the outside, he knows he loves Munk and would do anything for him, so he knows that sorry is not needed and everything is fine. But also, Munk was overall independant and needed much less care than Misto so, maybe he was the burden he thought he was.
Munk got only a few nibbles into his snack before falling asleep in Tugger's lap, his breathing leaving no indication that he fell asleep paniced or unnerved. Tugger sighed in relief as he continued to gingerly pet the back of his older brother, Misto dozing off at Tugger's feet himself. Tugger brushed Misto's fur back with his hind paw and blew him a kiss. "You did a good job today too, I'm so proud of you." Mr.Mistoffelees smiled, feeling the safety of Tugger, and falling asleep right in front of him and Munk.