Chapter 4

Cam walked into Mike's Coffee Shop fifteen minutes early and wasn't surprised that Skyler wasn't there. She wasn't known as a timely person.

He found seats and ordered a coffee picked out a morning paper. The front cover was of Liam Barron shaking hands with Senator John Barrasso. The title read:

'THE MAN TO GET THE JOB DONE.'

He shook his head and looked for the funnies. He did read the paper, sure, but not before the funnies. His coffee came via barista, and he waited for Skyler. He was anxious but didn't show it.

Cameron had so much to tell Skyler and to hear all about what's been happening in her life. He knew that his leg was going to come up and to be honest, he didn't want her to talk about it.

"You seem to be in deep thought."

Cam looked up and saw Skyler. She was in blue jeans with a cowgirl look over them, a long-sleeved shirt with a tan vest, and a large Herringbone cap.

Dang, she's beautiful. Hot.

He could feel his smile grow bigger as he stood up for her. She gave him a long-overdue hug. She was wearing something she hadn't in a while, Cameron was sure. Skyler was wearing Juicy Couture Original, Cameron's favorite.

"You smell amazing, Sky," Cameron complimented.

"I'm glad you like it," she whispered in his ear.

He offered her a seat across from him. Pulling out the chair and sliding it in for her, Cam was praised for his manners. He chuckled stating that Uncle Sam only taught him to hump a mountain but retain to be polite to a lady.

"Plus, my mother would roll over in her grave if I was poor to you," Cam noted.

"Yes, she would, wouldn't she? She loved me," Skyler beamed.

"Yes, she did," Cam agreed.

For a moment, they started into each other's eye, sharing a connection. It was only broken when the barista/waitress came to take to take Skyler's order. She ordered enough for three. She apologized to Cam, but he also ordered a bit of food for himself.

"So, I hate to ask but with your leg," Skyler pointed to Cam's leg, "are you out, out?"

Cam smiled and nodded his head. That seemed to please her.

"Medical Discharge," Cam said.

"Do you miss it?"

Cam took a minute and thought.

"From time to time. If I didn't have this leg," Cam said, tapping on his prosthetic. "I would probably be in for another three years or more."

"If it means anything, I for one, am glad you're back home. Speaking of home, do you have any plans, like work or school? I guess not since you just got back into town," Skyler began to ramble.

"You're right. I don't have plans or a job or anything like that at the moment. Right now, I'm living with my dad till I can figure something out," Cam said openly.

That was one thing he like about his and Skyler's relationship. With her, he could say almost anything to her. He felt safe and be himself around her. When they were kids, Cam wasn't the biggest, the fastest, and from time to time, not the smartest. He did get picked on and got into fights that he didn't start.

When he needed to vent or needed someone to just hang out with, Skyler was there. Her father never wanted them together and that was the primary reason things never went further than that. At the time, Liam Barron was an intimidating man, and Cam hated when Mr. Barron would catch the pair doing something or just sitting together.