01 - Reborn

Tatsumi was a young man who dreamed of making a difference in the world. A kindhearted person who wishes for people to live in happiness.

Once, he set out along with his two childhood friends to make a name for himself to earn money for his village. Today, he is but a changed person from the months of occurrences as an assassin.

He joined Night Raid, a covert group of assassins who rebel against the corrupt Empire. After accepting their invitation, he gradually accepts his new life and learns to make new friends. In accompany to combat against their rebellion against the empire, he was given a Teigu from a dying friend.

Teigu are rare, mysterious, and extremely powerful relics created by the instructions of the First Emperor in order to protect his empire. The flesh, blood, and bones of the fearsome creatures known as Danger Beasts have been utilized for their creation with the use of lost Magic. Some have the appearance of weapons while others appear as living beings.

Incursio is one such Teigu, a sword that equips him with indestructible silver armor upon release. With it, Tatsumi killed the deceitful Aria, a Three Beast Nyau, and many following others.

He had many friends and allies in Night Raid, but one of them was especially dear to him: Akame, a beautiful and skilled swordswoman who shared his ideals and his goals. He had promised to survive the war and see a new dawn together.

But fate had other plans for them. In the final battle against the current Emperor, who controlled a colossus Teigu called Shikoutazer, Tatsumi faced his greatest challenge. He had to protect the innocent people who were caught in the crossfire, while also fighting against the Emperor's overwhelming power.

Although he managed to greatly damage Shikoutazer, he paid a great cost. He was severely injured by the Emperor's attacks, and his body began to break down. He knew he had little time left, but he refused to give up. He used his remaining strength to push Shikoutazer away from the civilians, just narrowly saving them from being crushed.

But he could not save himself. He was trapped under the weight of the colossal Teigu, which crushed both his body and his Teigu. All he could feel was his life slipping away.

Akame heard his voice and rushed to his side. She saw him lying under the rubble, barely alive. It was too late, and she understood. She held him in her arms and cried. He knew she was not proud, inside she thanked him for everything he had done, and for being with her.

Tatsumi smiled. He can't say anything but apologize for breaking his promise. He was happy to have met her and the others and to have fought for a good cause. He still had regrets, but he was glad to die as a hero.

He closed his eyes and breathed his last. His warmth fades away, and his heart stops beating.

Everything went black. Then came death.

Or at least, that's how it should be.

He expected to see a bright light or a tunnel that leads to the afterlife, maybe even be guided by an angel to the next life.

Instead, he found himself floating in a vast emptiness, surrounded by nothing but silence. Is this the afterlife? Was there anything else beyond this?

He tried to move, but there was no direction. He tried to think, but there was no logic.

He was just a mere consciousness, drifting in the void of nothingness.

He did not know how long he stayed there, or if time even existed in this place. It could have been hours, days, weeks, and even years and centuries. There was no meaning of Time in the Void.

He felt no emotions, no sensation, nothing. He was at monotone peace.

Just then, a cold and sinister presence beside him. Or behind him, or before him. Space is as complex in the Void as time. Something was around him. No, not something. It was a familiar presence he felt every time he used Incursio. A being of evolution. A beast that attempted to take over his body and mind when he forced his Teigu to evolve for the first time.