Chapter 3

Lauren's POV
It's been a few days since the bonfire and I haven't seen Brantley since. He went to his farm with Kolby to go hunting and I've been spending time with my mama and daddy and trying to get some writing done for the album. I'm sitting on the bed in my high school bedroom with my guitar in my lap, trying to put this melody in my head onto paper. As I'm humming the notes, I see Brantley's name on my phone with a FaceTime call. I answer it with a smile. "Hey B!" "Hey there pretty girl. What are you doing?" "Getting some writing done. I'm working on the last song I need." I tell him with a smile. "Well, I'll be home tomorrow afternoon and I was hoping that I could see you." He says with a sheepish smile. "I bet I can definitely make that happen." I give him a smile and a wink. "I was actually hoping to run a few of these songs by you." I add, and his eyes light up. "I would love that. I always loved to hear you sing." "Well, I'm gonna go and finish this song then so I can have it perfect. I'll see you tomorrow B." "See you tomorrow sweetheart."

The Next DayI'm pulling into Brantley's driveway, and I see home on the porch waiting for me

The Next Day
I'm pulling into Brantley's driveway, and I see home on the porch waiting for me. I get out of my car and run towards Brantley and jump into his arms. When he set me on my feet, he put a hand on each side of my face and leaned in to kiss me. "Mmm...I missed you." He says as he pulls away. "I missed you too." I say, smiling up at him. He takes my hand and leads me inside. "Did you and Kolby see any deer this trip?" I asked as we walked in the kitchen and he poured me a glass of sweet tea. "No, we didn't see a damn thing." He said with a laugh. "So you wanted to run some songs by me?" He asked. I nodded my head and he grabbed my hand and led me down to his studio.

I handed B the tracks and made myself comfortable on the couch. I was just going to sing a long with the track since I haven't recorded this song yet. Brantley turned and looked at me with a mischievous grin. "Get in the booth baby. I want to record it so you can play it back and listen to it yourself." I got a big smile on my face as he winked at me and I made my way into the booth and got situated. "Here goes nothing. You are about to sing him the song you wrote for him in high school." I thought to myself as I heard the track come through the headphones.

" I thought to myself as I heard the track come through the headphones

"It's a battleground. Everywhere you go, there's something trying to take you down. So hard to stand up when they're kicking you around, putting your fire out, putting it out. Hey, hey.

But I'm not scared and I'm not shaking, yeah I've got armor and they can't break it. 'Cause you kiss me back together when I'm falling apart. When the music's gone, I'm dancing to the beat of your heart. You're the breath in my lungs when the gravity's pulling me under.

I could win any war. I could face any storm. Yeah, I could conquer the world with just one hand, as long as you're holding the other."

Brantley's POV
As soon as Lauren finished the song, I hit stop on the recording, and walked straight into the booth. "You have to cut it. It was perfect." I said, wrapping my arms around her waist. "I have to ask though, what made you write that song?" "I wrote this song back in high school B. I wrote this song for you, I just never showed you. We broke up, then Amber was around, and then we got back together  and broke up again. And then there was the drinking. There was never a good time until now." She told me teary eyed. "Promise me that you won't leave again. It's always been you Lauren. I love you." She looked up at me with a surprised look before a smile spread across her face. "I love you too."