IV - So Long, Princess

As she watched the woman's car disappear into the night, Michelle couldn't help but kick herself mentally for not asking for the visitor's name. She had been so caught up in the moment, offering solace and a safe haven, that she forgot the basics of making a connection.

But maybe, just maybe, there was a chance they'd meet again. But the world was vast, the chances slim.

--

The cafe's usual rhythm settled back in. Michelle poured coffee, greeted regulars, and exchanged banters with her best friend, Rhian, who co-owned the café. Rhian, bubbly and outspoken, was the perfect counterpoint to Michelle's quiet, introspective nature.

"Rhi, come on!" Niana, Rhian's teenage sister, pleaded. "You promised you'd take me!"

Niana practically vibrated with frustration, her foot tapping a frantic rhythm against the floor. One glance at her determined expression and furrowed brow revealed a clear family resemblance.

"For the last time, sis I'm sorry," Rhian said, her voice laced with irritation due to the commotion her sister was creating, "My car is broken down. I can't take you anywhere."

Niana's shoulders slumped in defeat. "But Rhi! You know how long I've waited for this. It's literally a dream come true!"

Michelle, observing the scene with a knowing smile, decided to interject with her trademark calmness. "What's going on?" she inquired, joining the conversation with ease.

"Michelle, you won't believe it! I won a contest to meet Anntonia, up close and personal! It's a chance of a lifetime," Niana said.

Michelle was aware of Niana's admiration for this supermodel  Anntonia, although she wasn't familiar with the celebrity's appearance.

"When is the meeting scheduled? Max has been pestering me incessantly to see her. Perhaps I can take y--" Michelle wasn't able to finish her sentence.

"OMIGOSH!! Thank you Mich!" Niana yelled excitedly as she hugged Michelle.

"You sure it's no problem, hon?" Rhian asked.

"Yeah, no biggie. Besides," Michelle looked down at the shorter girl hugging her, "I wouldn't wanna miss your death."

The two best friends burst out laughing as the youngest one pouted.

--

Michelle found herself at the venue with Niana. Judging by the set-up, the barista concluded they were doing some kind of a photo shoot and interview. Few minutes after, a woman approached them, her smile as polished as the chrome interior of the place they're currently in.

"Hi! I'm Anntonia's assistant. She will be out in a few, you can meet her after the shoot," the girl told Niana with a smile.

Just then, someone made her entrance, greeted by cheers and applause. The slender figure walked to the center, impeccably dressed. As Michelle laid eyes on her, she felt her heart sank in disappointment.

There she was, the girl she met at the café not long ago. But seeing her now, surrounded by cameras and flashing lights, felt like witnessing a different person. The warmth and vulnerability Michelle had glimpsed of were replaced by a calculated charm, her eyes lacked the same depth they'd held before.

"Anntonia! You look absolutely gorgeous girl! How can I steal your style?" exclaimed one of the staff members, planting kisses on both of her cheeks.

"Well, this dress is a vintage Chanel Haute Couture, actually. A true treasure I found on a recent trip to Paris. And the earrings, hmm... recent acquisition from my favorite jeweler, Boucheron. Quatre collection,"  the model said with a smirk.

Watching the interaction made Michelle cringe. She was grateful her phone buzzed signaling a message from Max.

"Peanut," she called Niana, "Let me know when you're wrapping up. I'll just be meeting Max nearby."

Before leaving, the short-haired girl threw one last glance to where Anntonia was as she murmured to herself, "So long, princess."