Chapter 2: Head Boy

Hermione gathered herself as the train pulled into the station. She found Ginny as she got off the train, and they soon met up with Neville and Luna.

"I'm glad to see some familiar faces!" Hermione said excitedly, giving them all hugs. "Ron and Harry didn't want to come back and I was worried I would be alone."

"I had to come back." Neville said sheepishly. "Along with my classes, I'm interning with Professor Sprout so that I can take over for her when she retires next year."

"Neville!" Ginny squealed. "That's so exciting! Congratulations!"

Luna smiled and took his hand. "Professor Sprout says that Neville is the most gifted Herbology student she's ever had!" Luna was beaming with pride, but all Neville could do was blush, as he started climbed aboard one of the carts.

"I'm guessing you have an announcement too, Hermione!" Ginny prodded as they started moving toward the castle.

"I do?" Hermione asked, not quite paying attention.

"Come on, Hermione, we all know you made Head Girl. Who else would it be?" Neville laughed.

Hermione smiled. "Oh, well yes, I did. Do any of you know who the Head Boy is? I haven't heard."

They all shook their heads. "With Harry not coming back, I'm not sure who it would be. He seems to be the logical choice." Luna said.

"How is Harry doing as an auror, Ginny?" Neville asked.

"He loves it! It's been a lot of training and shadowing so far, but he seems to be doing really well. I'm so excited for him!" Ginny smiled a little. "I am going to miss having him here though."

Hermione smiled too. She was so happy for Ginny and Harry, but of course she knew the next question that would come up.

"And Hermione, what about Ron? Is he doing well too?" Neville continued.

"I think he is." Hermione nodded. "He really seems to love it, but he's been so busy, I haven't talked to him in a while."

"Are you two not..." Luna started. "I thought you had gotten together after the war."

"We did..." Hermione started. "For a little bit. But it just didn't work out. He's like a brother to me, and it just felt weird. We're still friends, but we decided that it wasn't right so we're not together anymore."

"I'm sorry, Hermione." Neville said. "But I understand. It's a strange transition sometimes."

Hermione nodded, but still she wondered why they couldn't make it work. Ginny and Harry had been friends before. Neville and Luna had been friends. Why could they make it work, but Hermione couldn't make it work with Ron? She told herself that it just wasn't right, but she wondered if she hadn't given it her all. Maybe they would find their way back to each other one day.

The Great Hall was buzzing with excitement as everyone got reacquainted with old friends. Professor McGonagall stepped up to the podium, and a sudden hush fell over the crowd.

"Welcome back to Hogwarts!" She announced. "I am Headmistress Minerva McGonagall, and I am pleased to welcome back all of our returning students, and expect great things from our new first years as well. I would also like to introduce our new Head Girl and Boy, Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy."

Hermione stood and waved, and locked eyes with Malfoy from across the room. Malfoy, really?

After the feast, Hermione, Neville, and Ginny met up with Luna outside the door.

"Why is Malfoy head boy? Are you going to have to share a dormitory with him?" Ginny exclaimed, whispering louder than she probably intended to.

"I don't know... and probably. We're supposed to meet with McGonagall in her office in a minute. I'm sure she will go over all of that." Hermione answered, hesitation evident in her voice.

"He's a Death Eater! What was McGonagall thinking?" Neville interjected. But Luna, ever the optimist, took his hand and said "Maybe he's changed. I'm sure Professor McGonagall chose him for a reason. Hermione, you should give him a chance. We all should."

Hermione nodded. She wasn't sure that she shared Luna's opinion, but she did trust McGonagall and she knew that the kind thing to do would be to give Malfoy a chance.