Chapter Three

That night, as Feyrith lay in bed, his mind a sea of unwanted thoughts, he found that sleep evaded him once more.

The soothing sounds of the wind rustling the leaves beyond his window lulled his eyes shut, but they would not stay so. In his mind, he was plagued with thoughts of his mother. He thought of her long onyx hair she always wore in braids and her red-tinted lips pulled in a bright smile. He remembered her smooth voice surrounding him every night as she sung him to sleep.

He remembered her bright green eyes so full of love. He remembered every part of her and it upset him. Had his mother lived, he knew without a doubt that his father never would have signed such a treaty. His father would have found another way to bring about peace. He knew it in his very soul and it brought tears to his eyes to think of what his family had become in her absence.

He thought about how his mother would cry at the idea that the man she had loved with every fiber of her being had turned cold towards their children. He rolled onto his stomach, pressing his face into his pillow, and wept.

He did not realize he had fallen asleep until Aymar came to prepare him for the day, gently rousing him from the grasps of his dreamless sleep. He felt as though he was being pulled through his daily routine by unseen strings.

While Feyrith was getting dressed, a knock sounded from the door. "Come in," Feyrith called from where he sat at the vanity, Aymar skillfully taming his messy hair.

The door opened to reveal a guard clad in shining silver and gold gilded armor. His helmet was tucked under his arm, his quiver visible from behind his shoulder. His longbow rested across his shoulder, the string pulled taunt against his chest plate. His sword sheathed at his side.

"Sire, Incycita Sarven is approaching. He shall arrive momentarily. He has requested you meet him in his office." The guard said formally. Feyrith sighed and waved the guard away.

"Thank you, I will be there in just a moment." The guard bowed deeply and left, closing the door behind him. Feyrith continued to get ready for the day. He was dressed in a forest green tunic and dark brown trousers. His hair was done up today, braided into elegant half-bun.

He stood, donning his black leather boots, and swiftly left the room. He took his time getting to his father's office. He took the much longer scenic route, passing stalls selling delicious treats, and peddlers selling their wares. By the time he made it to his father's office, the man was waiting inside, sorting through his papers as if he had not just returned from a journey to Ulentor.

"Come in," his father replied after Feyrith knocked.

"You called for me father?" Feyrith said coyly as he entered the room. "Yes, have a seat. We have much to discuss." Feyrith couldn't help but think that was all too true. He lowered himself into the wooden chair in front of the desk, folding his hands in his lap and waiting for his father to begin speaking.

"Well then, I won't beat around the bush. The reason I went on this latest trip was to secure a peace treaty with the Orcs." Feyrith's eyebrows shot up, his face displaying a well-practiced surprise. "The reason I am speaking to you about it," Feyrith felt a small sting at that comment as if he wasn't the crown Ignacio. "Is because the terms of the treaty, require a union."

Feyrith pretended to ponder those words before feigning realization. "You mean me, I would have to marry one of the Orc Chief's sons." His father nodded. "Luckily, he felt his eldest would be too... volatile for you, so we decide you would wed his youngest, Rogan." At that, Feyrith let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

His father went to say more, but was interrupted by the door flying open, revealing Haryk standing there, Selanar behind him trying to pull him away.

"You can't do this!" Haryk yelled at their father.