The Bat

Meanwhile, for the most part, the drive home in the car was quiet for both Margaret and her daughter Carrie. They say in tense silence, the likes of which that normally occurred with any kid who's had their parents called for any form of trouble at school. The car rattled and sputtered as they drove through a more rundown section of town.

 The car rattled and sputtered as they drove through a more rundown section of town

Carrie: I'm sorry you had to come to school today, Mom.

Margaret turned toward her for a second, placing a hand upon Carrie's. The car's brakes squeal as it pulled up to their home, the blue house which its neighbors dread passing every day. Margaret sighed in resignation, while Carrie looked down with dread.

Margaret: Let's go inside, little girl. You need to come inside with me.

Carrie: Mama, why didn't you tell me? I was so scared, Mama. I thought I was going to die. Mama, they laughed at me... and they threw things at me.

But Margaret gave no form of response to satisfy 'any' of her questions. She merely stepped out of the car while Carrie looked on.

Margaret: We'll talk about this inside, Carrie.

Carrie got out of the car, but she was still upset and confused.

Carrie: No.

Later at the White's Residence, Margaret turned and faced Carrie, surprised over the sudden outburst. Yet there her daughter stood, trying to sound braver than she ever felt in her entire life.

Margaret: I want to talk about it right here. I don't... I don't want to go inside with you.

Margaret merely turned and walked into the house. Realizing her own mother would not give her the satisfaction, Carrie sat back in the passenger seat of the car. She tried to think, to make sense out of 'everything' that happened in one day, but no answer she could think of would satisfy the strange happenings in this town.

Carrie: The Bat.

All of a sudden, a bratty neighbor boy on a bike slapped the driver's side window, startling poor Carrie......

Boy: Crazy Carrie, Crazy Carrie!

The boy pressed his face to the glass with a snort. Carrie merely sighed in annoyance, for this wasn't the only time a neighbor referred to her as 'crazy'... especially to her face. But kids such as this one... they were far worse. The boy rode his bike around the front of the car shouting.