Chapter 1

Alexis POV

I should have thrown away the piece of paper she gave me, or at least ripped it. But I didn't. I just walked away without looking back. Away from her, away from her words. Away from the thoughts about her smile when I still liked it and loved it and couldn't get enough of it. Damn! I couldn't outrun the thought that I could never escape from her. I might still end up in her arms one day.

Once again, I found myself looking at the piece of paper she had given me. Standing in front of the trash bin, trying to make myself throw it once and for all. To prove to her and myself that I can keep going without her, yet I can't let go.

"Here's my number. I will never change it. When you're ready, feel free to call me. Wherever you are, no matter what, I will come for you and pick you up." — She said.

"Alexis, Alexis, Alexis. What now? I thought you moved on?" I talked to myself. Don't worry, I do it most of the time.

Today hadn't been a good day. I got fired from another job. This time it was because I gave a customer a weird look. He had something on his face, and when I was about to tell it to him, he got angry as to why I was looking at him that way. To my surprise, he had been a friend of my boss. He told my boss that he didn't appreciate my attitude. At my last job, I was fired because I was a minute late. And on the last job again, my boss told me that her company is at a loss and needs to fire some employees. 

Luck wasn't on my side ever since I left.

Loneliness had crept up on me. And when loneliness came, her voice followed. I'm on the verge of crying my ass out. Before I knew it, I almost called her. And then I run away, away, and away. Ending up on a random street in a random place, in front of a random trash bin. Almost doing the same ritual I have been doing for one and a half year. 

How foolish of me! I scoffed at that thought.

While feeling lonely, I reached my apartment. I needed a new job to support myself, so maybe I should find one? But first, I need to change. There is no way I would get an interview or even an actual job if I'd look like shit.

I sighed.

The only proper suit I have is the one she gave me. I don't know if I just missed her, but I can still smell her scent on it. I had almost thrown that suit away multiple times, but I ended up putting it back in my drawer. 

That suit can't be used to contact her unlike that piece of paper but it was still a painful reminder how weak I am. That how much I tried to run away, I'd still keep looking back. Just like she said I would.

I shook my head.

The thought of wearing that suit wavered me about my choices. Maybe I should start finding a new job tomorrow instead of going out again today.

Yes, that would be better.

Looking at my ceiling the darkness swallowed me.

Tomorrow comes,

"Good morning, self," I said as I looked in my bedside mirror.

I forgot to tell you my name yesterday. So yeah, Alexis Quiin Lewis is the name. It sounds so classy and rich, right? But the odds were never in my favor. It's a very long story about how I ended up in this situation, but you'll know it soon. 

I did my morning routine as usual.

I am fixing my hair when a persistent knocking can be heard. So, I stood up and went to my door and opened it, which I later regretted.

"Yung bayad mo sa renta Alexis. Dalawang buwan ka ng hindi nakakapag-bayad." My land lady nagged at me.

"I know Aling Marta. But I still have no money for now," I replied.

My boss did not bother giving me my last pay. Damn that old man.

"Nako Alexis, sinasabi ko sa iyo. Pag hindi ka pa makakapag-bayad sa katapusan, mapipilitan akong paalisin ka dito. Aba'y neng, wala ng libre sa panahon ngayon," She said as she found her exit.

My eyes started to water. Don't cry, Alexis; don't cry. You can do this. You just have to find a new job, do your best, and hopefully luck will be on your side this time.

I was about to go close the door when I heard Aling Marta's loudmouth talking to some unknown man.

"Si Alexis ba? Ah, andyan sa loob. Ewan ko ba sa batang yan, puro kamalasan na lang ang nangyayare sa buhay." I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Typical Marites in the neighborhood.

"Please give her this, and oh, this is for her rent also." My rent? Who could that be? I don't remember someone who has some unpaid debt on people like me. Did Aling Marta sell me to that person? I shiver at that thought.

I was about to go check on who's the owner of that voice when I heard an engine. Minutes passed when Aling Marta could be seen so happy while wiggling her butt.

"Oh, andyan ka pala Alexis. Heto oh, pinabibigay sayo nung mama kanina," She said while handing me the envelope full of unknown papers inside. It looks so bulky.

I looked at her with a grimace.

"Tanggapin mo na. Mukhang importante yung laman niyan. Ingat na ingat siya habang inaabot sa akin yan," Aling Marta explained while looking intently at the envelope.

It's a brown envelope. It looked normal, but I didn't know what's inside, so I started to be suspicious. 

"Kunin mo na dali. Baka pera yan, oh san ka pa. Siya nga pala, bayad na yung renta mo ng buong taon." What she said left my mouth wide open. Sinong tanga ang magbabayad ng upa sa hindi mo naman kilala?

But, come to think of it, how did that man find me? I mean, did he manage to stalk me? Was he there when my boss fired me because of that bearded man who happens to be his friend? Did he feel sorry about what happened?

I can't think of any possibilities. Like, hello, it's so hard to earn a living these days.

I still hesitated to accept the envelope when Aling Marta forcefully put it in my hands. What now? I decided to get inside my room, still thinking about the man from earlier. Is he one of my father's underlings? Oh, come on. Did he find me already? No, not yet.

I ran away from home. That's when my life went upside down. Then I met her; we fell in love and lived together, thinking we could have our happily ever after. Yet again, I ran away from her.

I sighed. What a life.

My sub-consciousness is fighting whether to open the envelope or leave it like that. My hands chose to open it. I almost fell on my chair when I saw what was inside.

WTF!