Chapter 12 - Lucy in the Town With Diamonds

Erza helped Lucy with her outfit for the date. They didn't take too much time on the decision. It more was about pumping Lucy up to go in the first place. What it came down to was servicing the rebellion more than anything else—this was their first true opportunity to learn about the Empire and their Dragon Slayers in particular.

Though she didn't say it officially, Lucy did know that Erza had scattered the rest of her friends around the city to help watch over Lucy. They were at different places, seeing the sights, and getting to know the town while also monitoring for Lucy, as they had no idea where the date was going to end up. Erza promised to still tail Lucy, but the more backup the better.

They'd send a message: the Empire wasn't the only one to have people everywhere.

She emerged from her hotel room in a fitted midi dress ruffled from the torso down, her gloves changed to more formal white ones to still hide her guild mark. Her hair was still up in a side ponytail. Per her request, she wore flats. Erza even handed her a purse where she could put her Celestial Keys. Lucy held it such that a purse-snatcher would have a tough time stealing it off of her.

"Okay," she said as she stood in front of Wendy, Erza, and Carla. "I'm ready, I guess."

"You look great!" Wendy exclaimed.

"You fit the part of a proud Fiore woman," Carla said.

"Indeed," Erza said. "You clean up nicely, Lucy."

"Thanks," Lucy said, brushing some hair out of her face. "Wish I could go out on the town with you guys instead."

"We'll have that opportunity," Erza said. "Hopefully."

Curfew applied to anyone who wasn't a direct part of the Empire. Lucy prayed that Axel would take that into consideration and not keep Lucy out longer. Her friends were stubborn enough that they'd stick around past curfew and risk getting in trouble just to make sure Lucy was safe.

The clock was ticking. They had their chance to run and passed it by.

This was for the rebellion. For Hisui. For Fairy Tail.

"Let's go," Lucy said and nodded to Erza.

The two walked together for a while until Erza branched off, whispering that she would be nearby the entire time. Lucy strode alone down the streets of Clover Town, watching the town that had such incredible potential for fun and festivities get slowly dwindled as the sun faded to nothing more than buildings for people enslaved to an oppressive regime to sleep in. Some places were open, sure, filled with the raucous laughter of Imperials, or their stern voices as they demanded more food or drink.

She stopped at the double doors of the arena. They were slightly open. Was she supposed to go in? No. Axel said to wait for her. So, she held her posture, trying to see through some shadows if Erza lingered or not. But it was hard to see. Maybe one of her friends was also nearby in the shadows.

Lucy almost laughed at the thought of Natsu trying to put on some sort of performance of hiding. Erza probably just sent him off in town in search of desserts for her—if he knew it was to keep Lucy safe, Natsu would've just tagged along on the date.

Clattering footsteps from within the arena lobby caught Lucy's attention. She turned her head slowly toward Axel, who wore a fine Imperial uniform. He flattened it out. His shoes were shined. So, Lucy wasn't the only one taking this seriously.

Axel paused, sucking in a breath when he saw Lucy. She accepted that. Enemy or not, it was flattering to be reminded she was still pretty. Didn't mean she wouldn't kick him in the junk if he tried anything.