Chapter 30

A/N: It has been a very busy months... so sorry for the long delay, and as a compensation I'll have both the Chapter 30 and final episode be uploaded within this week. :)

##########

1 day before graduation.

The continuous beeping from the vital signs' monitors echoed through the room, drowning out all other sounds. A young girl with long, brown hair lay peacefully on the bed, seemingly undisturbed by the noise, yet showing no signs of stirring. By her side, a man with matching brown hair sat on a solitary couch near the window, his expression etched with concern as he observed the sleeping girl.

In a moment of frustration, he muttered, "Such a foolish move, Reiko," while leaning back in his chair. His attention shifted to his phone, where he diligently provided updates on Reiko's condition to concerned parties, including the Odagiri estate, Shuei, Takashi, Oedo Clan, and Class 3D.

Since Reiko's hospitalization, Ryu and Hayato had been determined to remain by her side, but Mizuo, with unwavering resolve, insisted that the Class 3D leaders depart. "Reiko wouldn't want you two lingering here while your classmates are left out all confused. Leave," Mizuo with a stern voice let out, a sentiment met with silent compliance from the concerned pair.

The entrance door creaked open, drawing Mizuo's attention to the incoming guests. He rose, offering respectful bows. "Katashi-san," he greeted, his expression reflecting the distress evident in Katashi's eyes and the calm concern in Shuei's demeanor.

"My Reiko," Katashi whispered, settling beside the bed and tenderly clasping his daughter's hand, his emotions palpable.

Mizuo shared, "Reiko was just trying to protect Ryu," revealing a glimpse of the circumstances that led to the current predicament.

"She sure is... She truly adores her cousin, loves him dearly," Katashi remarked, his voice tinged with both pride and worry, as he gently stroked her hair. "And her personality, it reminds me so much of her mother's."

Mizuo broached the delicate topic of Kudo's fate, knowing the potential ramifications. "Should we take action, Takashi-san?" he inquired, aware of the temptation for retribution. However, Katashi's response surprised both Mizuo and Shuei, who exchanged a glance.

"Let the authorities handle it. If they recommend charges against him for hurting Reiko, then so be it," Katashi responded firmly, avoiding any thoughts of vigilante justice; for sure, knowing Reiko, she wouldn't like it and would be upset. He'll let the authority handles it.

As Shuei departed to attend to other matters, Mizuo settled back into his chair, observing the father and daughter before him. "How is he?" Katashi suddenly inquired, prompting Mizuo to furrow his brow before realizing Katashi's concern for Hayato.

"I'm not entirely sure. Between that and their ongoing issues with the Board Chairman and graduation, they have much to think of," Mizuo confessed, as Katashi remained by his daughter's side, silently offering his support for hours to come.

###

Mizuo indulged in a lengthy nap at the hospital, fully aware that, as Reiko's future confidant, his presence was indispensable during her moments of vulnerability. While this might be perceived as a burden by others, for both families, it symbolized a profound sense of loyalty and friendship. Generations of alliance had bound their families together, forming an unbreakable bond that no external force dared to challenge.

For Reiko and Mizuo, their connection surpasses mere alliances or pledges of loyalty; they were family, past and present. Even without explicit directives from Katashi, Mizuo had voluntarily sworn to safeguard Reiko as an inherent duty within their familial pact.