26 | reckless

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

to the reckless souls who would die for love; 

no one is more alive than you.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"Scarlet?" I heard Chris's voice in my ears, ten minutes after the car sped away. 

"It's working from our end," Stephen confirmed. I took another deep breath, touching the fabric right above my face as I remembered all the things that I could before Ryder would arrive at his designated spot. 

I couldn't believe it. The plan was based on one fact alone and somehow that had worked out. 

Chris had been tracking Ryder's search history since the last one week. A few hours ago, he had searched up a car rental around our house. In that one, single moment, Ryder had made the greatest mistake that set my plan in order, right after Roman left. 

Ryder solved the one thing I hadn't figured out and was planning to wing. 

Half an hour after Rome left with Mason, Ryder was at the car rental, renting an average looking Sedan, most probably to visit his house. 

A few hours after the call that I had overheard, Chris sent a message to Ryder from an unknown, untraceable number. The message urged him to not call anyone anymore, indicating some danger. The message also asked him to drive down in a car. 

Ryder, already not risking extra calls in our house had been swift...and stupid. As I eased myself into the back of the car from the rental where someone from our gang handed him the keys, I knew Ryder had taken the bait. He wouldn't dare call someone, especially after that cryptic message, especially after knowing whose house he was living in. 

As Rihanna and Adrian left on a shopping trip, I made sure I slipped away before Ryder could leave. Chris and Stephen had already met Meredith in a nearby house, the closest we knew to Ryder's to-be location. 

"Scarlet, Damien is here to do a final check," Stephen said in the ear piece. My heart thumped as the car halted. If Ryder was just fooled once more, Damien would do a final check on me before Ryder neared his street. 

"Sir, can you open the boot of the car for a check?" I could hear Damien faintly as I prayed Ryder won't accompany him. 

I heard Ryder mutter an okay, and the boot popped open, but that is not what scared me. Thankfully, being in a hurry, Ryder didn't accompany the officer. 

When Damien opened the boot of the car and leaned down, a smile spread across his face. He handed me the small gun he had stuffed in and I gestured to him that my ear piece was working. 

Hours ago, I had assured Meredith that I would signal her and Damien the moment I saw Matt in that house. They needed visual proof which I would send with my phone. That's it. My work would end there as FBI could finally raid the house. That's it, right? It didn't sound that tough. So why was my heart thumping against my chest, now that we were barely a mile away from his house?

After Damien left, the ride was short because Ryder was clearly impatient. 

"You did it, Scarlet. You're officially the only person to get inside that house!" Meredith said in my ears as I felt Ryder take a turn towards an underground garage. It felt uncomfortable for a second, but as I stayed in my place, the car finally halted.