"Always my captain"

"I've always said this and I will say it again, you will always be my captain."

"You think of MS Dhoni and the first word that comes to mind is captain!"

"For me he is always going to be my captain."

"For me, he will always be 'My Captain' because I started my career under him."

From the day Virat has entered the Indian national team, he has held Mahendra Singh Dhoni in the highest regard. The man was a epitome of calmness, sincerity and generosity. Virat remembered how embarrased he got when Yuvi and the others pranked him into touching Sachin's feet.

"Don't mind them. Those guys are fools but really good at heart, you'll know once you get to know them." MS Dhoni had told him with a pat on the back.

Virat couldn't remember a single incident when he heard his captain badmouth anyone. MS Dhoni had good and only good to say about everyone around him. He had no time for hate, Virat had realised later. A thousand people can bash him a thousand times, and he will still walk away with a smile.

"Do you not get angry ever, bhai? How can you be so calm?" Virat asked, after he flicked the finger to the Australian crowd.

"I do get angry, you know that, the team knows that." MS laughed, and pulled the younger in a side hug. "Use your anger where it benefits you, Virat. Not when it backfires on you, just like it's doing right now."

"But they were saying horrible things, bhai."

"I know, I know. And that's why they are there and you are here. They aren't the ones on the ground. I'm not saying you need to change, Virat. Play as agressive as you want, that's what brings out the best in you. But do not let any of it harm you or your career in any way. Let your bat answer." MS explained gently. "And your ball too, my right-arm quick bowler." He added making Virat chuckle.

Virat couldn't truly understand the depth of MS's advices until later in his life. He understood many of MS's decisions when he experienced life futher. When he himself became a captain, a husband and a father.

"Why are you so inactive on social media, bhai?"

"Agar apni mental health pyaari hai na, to tu bhi kam chlaya kar ye sab." His captain answered, delivering a swift smack to his head.

It was years later, when Virat realised how right his Mahi bhai was, yet again. One of MS's secrets to a happy life was living in the world right in front of you rather than the one inside your smartphones. He hardly knew what people were saying about him and the peace was unmatched. He didn't have to worry about not wishing someone of social media, liking something accidentaly or proving his friendships by following people.

MS Dhoni loved his people behind the screens. MS Dhoni might not stay in constant touch with Virat but trust him to be the first one to be there when the younger needs support. And he did it without any expectations, without drawing any attention.

"Tu theek hai na?" MS asked over the phone.

"Dekh hi rahe ho aap bhai. I'm not scoring any runs, nothing is working out-"

"Performance ke baare me nahi puch raha. Tu theek hai ya nahi, ye puch raha hun."

"Bhai-" Virat was unable to get a word out. Had he even thought of himself beyond cricket and how he was actually doing? Had he been so focused on performing, he had paid no attention to what he was feeling? "I don't know, Mahi bhai. I don't know. I don't know what to do. I don't know who to talk to. I don't know what to say to anyone. I just don't know."

"You can let go, Virat. I'm here."

With a barely held back sob, Virat has then bared his soul to his first captain. He has told him everything, from the board meetings to the trolls to his own insecurities. Just like before, Virat didn't hold back a bit while speaking to his Mahi bhai. He complained about everything unfair done to him. And just like before, MS listened with utmost patience to his deputy, his Cheeku.

"Jabse aap gaye ho na bhai, sab kuch galat ho raha hai."

MS's heart hurt in a way he had never experienced before. He felt anger towards everyone who made his brother feel this way. This was not the Virat Kohli he left for the team. This was not his fierce, carefree, happy Virat he left there. But he couldn't dwell on his own hurt for long, Virat needed him more. Virat needed him to be strong. Virat needed his Mahi bhai. So that's what MS did, he did the best he could to support his younger brother. He reached out to Virat by himself, which was in itself a big deal for MS. But nothing was too hard when it came to Virat, was it?

"Mahi bhai, thank you for everything you've done and continue to do for me. Thank you for being there." Virat texted MS one day. He was doing better now. His game was coming back to the track and his communication with the board was also comparatively better. Virat wasn't expecting a reply, that too such a quick one, it was MS afterall. So to say he was shocked when he got a revert back almost under 2 minutes, would be an understatement.

"For you, always."

And once MS was sure Virat was in a good mental space, he withdrew his interventions just as quietly. He didn't talk about it anywhere. There was no noise made. Just a promise. A promise made and a promise kept.

In his career, Virat made a lot of friends, there were lots of vows made, lots of parties, lots of fun. But there were very few who truly cared about him. There were few who tried to understand Virat Kohli and there were even fewer who suceeded. And one of the first to suceed remains Mahendra Singh Dhoni.

MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli, pollar opposites in terms of their outer personalities. One who was hardly seen raising his voice on the field and other who would yell in the stump mic for his team. But underneath these contrasting exteriors were two men, strong, brave and truthful. Two men who stood by each other's side like brothers. Brothers in all but blood.

MS Dhoni, who was often trolled as a credit-stealer, would very selfishly block a ball to let Virat Kohli hit the finishing runs. He would very selfishly save Virat from getting dropped from the team many a times, as told by the latter himself.

Virat Kohli, who was the epitome of arrogance for some, would never hesitate to tell the world who his forever captain is and he would always defend him.

There were a lot of stuff said about both of them and the realtionship they shared. There were ample attempts made to create some kind of rivalry between the two. But as they say, the ship doesn't sink because of the water around them, but from the water inside.

Their friend(ship) sailed because even with all the negativity around, the inside, built on trust and respect, remained strong.

The bond between a captain and his deputy remained as pure as before.

Hi loves!

How was the chapter? I love Virat's bond with MS. Also, watching IPL? Watched GT vs MI? Thoughts on Pandya's captaincy. Please be respectful while sharing views. Gonna rush to watch RCB's match now. My brother keeps saying Virat form me hai. 😂

Take care.