He Must Be Found

GdT Arcane Bookstore didn't get a great many customers. Douxie magically duplicated copies of Merlin's old collection of tomes, and sold them to hedge witches, elves, anyone who needed them. He began picking up spell components and such to sell as well, and while his buying pool and store were rather small, the customers kept coming back- and unlike at Benoit's, they tipped well.

Thus, Douxie rarely got a shock when someone walked in the door of the bookstore; today, though, he did get one.

Irene Hall walked through the door and slipped behind a bookshelf, trying to ignore him and grabbing a book, beginning to flip through.

Douxie sighed quietly through his nose, and let her have her privacy, turning away to organize things behind the register counter.

Meanwhile, Irene mentally braced herself for potentially uncomfortable interactions and settled in to research whatever this thing that had tried to attack Cara and the Tarrons was. There had to be something, and unfortunately... the dang wizards had more books than the sorcerers. Douxie's warnings had become urgent; her family had been directly threatened. Hesitation and caution were becoming unaffordable luxuries.

She'd managed to find a few books based on what she'd heard, then made her way to the counter. With a small inhale she said, eyes down on the books, "Um... demons?"

Douxie turned sharply to look at her, eyebrows lifting. "Well, now, there's a theory," he said, interest piqued. "And it makes sense. Warlocks tend to have an ability to give off an aura of fear- I hadn't experienced it before, but I should've guessed."

Irene's eyes brightened. "Well– I'm glad this was your first experience with this sorta thing because... I'd... like to help..." Irene looked up at him again, "... you."

Douxie blinked, and then cracked an absolutely radiant smile. "Good," he said. "Because I'd like your help." He looked through the book titles. "This is a good start, but I think I've got some reference tomes in the back for more detail. Let me get them."

"Yes– of course." Irene tucked her hair back, looked around the empty store, and just like that he was back- with a surprising number of books.

"Do you– need help with that?" Irene blinked.

"No, no, don't worry, I got it-" Douxie promptly tripped face-first into the counter.

Irene waved her hand in passing, the books floating onto the counter, and slid to his side of the counter. "Are you alright?"

Douxie had a hand to his nose as he sat up, and he groaned. "Fine," he said, but he had a profuse nosebleed and a gash across the bridge of his nose.

Irene sighed and held a glowing red hand near his face as she mumbled, "... and it should feel a little tingly... then..." she slightly cupped her hand in the air along his jawline, and extended her thumb towards his nose, seeming to have complete focus on the wounds she could see- and likely feel.

As she'd expected, a warm, but not uncomfortable, sting turned to a smoothing cool within a few seconds. Soon, all he could feel was a delicate hand tracing his face, and all he could see was a pair of concerned eyes.

His expression slackened slightly, and he felt his ears beginning to burn, but he covered it by clearing his throat a little. "Thank you," he said softly, searching those glittering, lapis lazuli eyes for a moment before blinking. "You've got strong healing magic," he noted. "From the Siren side of the family, I take it?"

Irene smiled. "It's usually not that good, actually– I'm glad you're okay, that could've been... deeply disturbing."

Douxie gave a lopsided, somewhat sheepish smile. "I think I should have started giving you the credit you deserve a lot sooner," he admitted. "You're- you really are remarkable."