Part 1

My name is Coralie Jones. Many people call me Corii though. To be honest, I always thought my family would be together forever. Now I know all good things never last.

My mom had me at eighteen, and her parents kicked her out. That's why I'm not close with my grandparents. Anyway, my parents were struggling a lot. They were stressed half of the time since they had to take care of me, and now I wish I wasn't as difficult as I was before.

My dad moved out when I was six. He told my mom, "I always wanted to live life like an actual teenager, to go to parties, drink, date ten girls at once, and to go to Death Leopards concert. But I never got to do that because of your child! Fuck you both, I'm never coming back."

Because of this, my mom had to work three jobs to be able to support the two of us. I always felt terrible that she couldn't do anything with her life since I was in the way, and she was always stressed out with work. When I was ten, she started drinking, and we grew apart.

Two years later, my life was back on track. My mom stopped drinking, and because I was twelve, she was able to meet a new guy. His name is Rhett, my mom loves him, and I'm starting to as well.

His dream was to move to Wilmington, a city in North Carolina, so guess what we did? We moved! It's a beautiful city, we live right by the beach. The ocean is clear, and the people are wonderful.

FOUR YEARS LATER:

School here used to be tough for me, especially when I needed to make friends. But later, I made some really close ones, Ava, Elaine, and Sophie. They are amazing people. I'm having them over for my sweet sixteen, and it's not gonna be a big deal, I hope.

I grabbed my phone only to see a missed call and new message from Elaine. I opened it and it read, "Hey Corii!! Wanna come to the beach? I'm going surfing and my sis let me borrow her surfboard for a friend to use. Let me know when you're free!! Byeee!"
I don't really know if I wanna go, to be honest.
"Elaine, I don't know how to surf, you know that right?" I asked. "Of course I know, but I can teach you! Meet me around here at one!" She replied.
First of all, when did I say I wanted to go? Oh well, it's not like I have anything better to do.
I grabbed a pink bikini and sandals, and asked my mom, "Can you drop me off at the beach please?"

Next thing I knew I was at the beach talking to Elaine. "So, I brought both, which surfboard would you like? I don't really care!" She said.
"Uhm, can I use the white one?" I asked.
She replied with, "yeah, no problem!" As she started waxing them. I, being myself, stood there awkwardly.
"So, Corii, you'll never believe who asked me to the Sea Dance!" She said excitedly.
The sea dance is a big event at my school, it's like prom, but less anticipated.
"Who? Was it Jason?"
"Nope!" She replied. "Zeke did!! I'm so happy I really like him!"

This girl likes a new guy every week. Anyways, she finished waxing the boards, so we paddled out to sea. She taught me everything she knew, like how to catch and ride a wave, and how to stand on the board. That was the hardest part. "No, Corii!" She said between laughter. " You're supposed to go like this, not like that!"
Eventually, after a few hours, I got the hang of it.

That was the day I learned to surf. It took me away from reality, and Elaine's sister, April, let me keep her board for a few weeks, until my sweet sixteen.

THREE WEEKS LATER

The day finally came! I am sixteen, but I don't want a car like everyone else, I want a surfboard. That's all I've wanted for the past few weeks, since I've been using April's board. "Happy Birthday hon!!" My mother and Rhett shouted as they burst into my room. They gave me a large hug, and let me open one gift before school.

Today went by so slowly. Lunch was the only eventful time of the day. I opened my lunchbox to receive a note that read,

Dear Corii,

Happy birthday hun! I can't believe you're already sixteen. These past years have gone by in a blur. Remember when you turned five, and we smashed cake into James, your father's face? It was hilarious!

That moment was priceless. I think you're gonna have a great time tonight though! Anyway, I packed your favorite sushi and rice! Have a great birthday sweetheart!

Love,
Mom and Rhett

That was so sweet! Ugh, I love them so much. And, even later into lunch, my friends took the microphone and gave me a shoutout, which was so cute but so embarrassing.

Later that day, I walked home, passing the beach. I took a break to look at the waves, when I thought I saw Ava, Elaine, and Savvy setting something up. I think it was just my imagination though.

I walked through the door to see the house quite quiet. A surprise party, isn't it? I thought.

I walked over to the kitchen when the lights flicked on and my friends and family shouted, "Happy Birthday Corii!!"

We all sat down at the table and grabbed a slice of cake. Once we were finished, my mom told us to get changed into bathing suits. I didn't know why, until I thought back to what I saw the girls doing earlier.

Me, my mom, Rhett, and all my friends walked over to the beach, laughing together.
When we got there, I took my sandals off and felt the sand between my toes. It was wonderful, really.

My mom handed me a note with a bag of candies, and when I looked inside, it looked to be Rhett's handwriting, but I wasn't sure. It said...