Chapter Four - Tenuous

"Have a seat." Trixtin glided across the small room, sinking down on the further of two couches that sat around a low table. Her guest did not obey, hesitating by the door.

"Where are your guards?" He asked.

"They're around." Trixtin crossed one leg over the other, looking up at him expectantly.

"Are you not concerned that I'll attack you?"

"Are you going to attack me?"

"No."

"Then I see no reason for concern."

"How-" He began, but Trixtin cut him off with a raised hand.

"Have a seat." She repeated herself. This time, Herobrine obeyed, rubbing at the bruises on his wrists where his cuffs had rested just minutes before as he sat down gingerly on the couch across from her. He didn't look at her, his gaze continuing to flit about the room in apprehension.

"So," Trixtin tried to draw his attention to herself. "Three hundred years you've been gone, and now you're back, asking to be locked away." Herobrine's jaw tightened, but he finally met her eyes.

"A simple request, and yet you deny me." His voice was strained as he glanced once again at the door. "Why?"

"I simply think your skills are too valuable for you to be locked away in a dungeon for eternity." Trixtin told him. "That you would be a much greater asset in my service."

"But I should not be here." Herobrine protested. "You saw the way your men look at me- your people know me as a murderer and a tyrant, as they should. I don't belong here."

"Then why did you come?" Trixtin arched a brow. Herobrine opened his mouth to respond, but she went on to clarify. "You've spent three hundred years in the Overworld, as little more than a thought in the backs of the minds of human and piglin alike. What made you decide to come back? To turn yourself in?" Herobrine hesitated, and his nervous glances finally stilled as he lowered his gaze to the floor.

"I... met someone." He admitted. "She... gave me a new perspective."

"Oh?" Trixtin sat up straight, resting her chin in her palm. "Do tell."

**

"Miss, ah, ma'am?" The voice from her left broke Y/N out of her thoughts, and she looked up to find the human girl making her way across the procession towards her. "It's- it's Y/N, right?"

"Yes." Y/N dipped her chin in a nod. "And you are Alex Hunt. Can I help you?"

"Yes- well, I don't really need anything, I was just wondering if we could talk." Alex flushed a bit. "I- what should I call you? Before you, and your friend and commander, I've never met a valkyrie before." Y/N couldn't help but smile at the starstruck look in the girl's green eyes.

"You may call me by name, if I can call you by yours."

It had been several hours now since they had left the capital city, and they had just finished their midday meal and gotten back on the road. The queen had a pocket watch on her, which they used to keep track of the time. Staying on a healthy sleeping and eating schedule was more important when there was no sun to keep them on track.

The queen was now at the front of the party with Zenith close beside her. He was holding her hand, and they occasionally exchanged a few quiet words. He wasn't usually so openly affectionate, Y/N noted, as he seemed to think that his relationship with the queen was a lot more discreet than it actually was. As it was, anyone that saw him look at, talk about, or exist around the queen could come to the conclusion fairly easily that there was something between them.