Chapter Fifteen - Scars

Herobrine had calmed by the time they reached a stopping point.

They had made it out of the crimson forest after about an hour of walking, out onto a stretch of the barren wastes, and had continued on for another few hours before Herobrine called them to a stop. He had remained tense and silent for most of their walk, only occasionally speaking up to direct them. Y/N couldn't help glancing over to check on him every few moments. She didn't know what had set him off so badly, but she had never seen him so scared before.

He eventually pointed out a small cave carved into the side of a cliff, and Y/N readily agreed that they should stop and rest. She didn't like caves, but this one was small and fairly open, and she was anxious to be able to speak with Herobrine.

Herobrine herded her and Alex inside before coming in himself, casting a wary glance outside. Upon seeing nothing, he sank down to the ground beside the exit, and Alex cleared her throat quietly.

"So," She said. "That's Sirben, huh?"

"That's Sirben," Y/N muttered. She glanced at Herobrine, who was still facing the exit. "Herobrine?" He lifted his head to meet her eyes. "What happened back there?" Herobrine averted his gaze, and Y/N wasn't sure for a moment if he was going to answer.

"The flag." He finally said, his voice low and emotionless. "That m- the mark on it. It's the same crest as the one worn by the assassins who tried to kill me." Y/N's heart dropped into her stomach.

"Oh." She could still picture the scar on his chest and back, the one she'd seen while patching him up after his fight with Tekno, that came from the attack that had turned him into a paranoid tyrant. No wonder he had reacted as he did.

"Wait, what does that mean?" Alex cut in. "Sirben sent assassins to kill you?"

"I don't know." Herobrine raked a hand through his hair, looking outside again. "It- the attack occurred nearly 700 years ago, I don't know if Sirben was even alive at that time."

"But his master..." Y/N trailed off. Herobrine nodded grimly.

"If not responsible, it seems Sirben and whoever he works for are affiliated with the assassins from back then." He said quietly. Y/N mulled over this for a moment.

"Are you going to be alright to go on?" She finally asked.

Herobrine met her eyes. "I don't have any other choice."

"You could-" She started,

"No, the queen is still out here somewhere." He snapped. "I cannot return without her." He turned away again, and when he spoke his voice was calmer. "I was caught off guard, it will not happen again." A short pause. "You two should get some rest."

"Us??" Y/N protested. "I should think that if anyone needs rest-"

"Y/N," He cut her off, finally meeting her eyes. "I don't want to sleep right now." Y/N stared at him for a moment, taking in the haunted look in his eyes, before she nodded.

"Alright."

None of them spoke as they ate, then Alex curled up against the far wall and fell asleep. Y/N felt a pang of guilt as she watched her- encountering Sirben seemed to have been very taxing on their young guide.

Y/N herself, on the other hand, was far too worked up to sleep. She had tried sorting their supplies in an attempt to calm her racing thoughts, but she couldn't stop replaying the moment that the black skeleton swung at her. Sirben had claimed that they belonged to his master... what manner of creature could produce such monsters?

She glanced at Alex, then to Herobrine, who sat at the exit with his back to her. "You'll have to sleep eventually," She called out quietly.

"I know." He didn't move. "I need... time, first." Y/N pursed her lips, but didn't argue. Instead, she stood, crossing the cave and sitting down beside him.