6 - A Pair Of Lips That Tell No... Lies?

~ Shuichi

Kirumi bolts out of the courtroom, still screaming dry, curdling screams that echo throughout the academy. The monitors in the courtroom switch on, and my eyes are immediately glued to the screen. I just wish I could look away. I don't want to watch my friend die like I had to watch Kaede die.

Kirumi wasn't able to escape. Behind the screen, Kirumi is climbing up a strand of thorns as a crowd of people throw signs at her, encouraging her to climb, likely to a maze with no exit. As she climbs, large saws spin around her, cutting her clothes and slicing her skin, spilling her blood across the walls. Screams are echoing through the monitors and ringing through my ears—all I want to do is turn my head away. But I can't.

Eventually, Kirumi reaches the top. I can hear my classmates—including Kokichi and Kaito—cheering her on yet again; I would join, but I can't move. I can't blink or open my mouth or move any muscle in my body. I'm paralyzed with fear. The maid reaches her hand towards what she thinks is the sky, but it's just a stone ceiling with a cruel drawing plastered on it. The thorned strand snaps and she falls to her death, crushing one of the Monokubs as she hits the ground.

Another murder. Another execution. How many more people have to die for this game to stop?
~
Kokichi

Three weeks ago...

My eyes scan the words on my screen, welcoming me to season fifty-three of Danganronpa. I got in on my first try? Did the casting directors like my audition tape that much?

I can hear Shuichi talking to me, but I can't hear what he's saying. All I can hear are my thoughts—I'm going to be participating in a killing game. I'm going to either kill or be killed... According to the rules, the game will only end when there's two survivors. That gives me very slim odds of surviving... Why did I sign up for this? Why did Shuichi sign up for this? More than once? I start second-guessing my decision to participate in this killing game as I reread the email.

Finally, Shuichi's words enter my ears, "Did you get accepted?"

Before I know what I'm doing, I nod my head without a word. Shuichi gasps and wraps his arms around me tightly. I want to return the embrace, but I'm too stunned to move. I mostly auditioned as a joke, since the chances of being picked are slim to none... But I got picked on my first try? How?

"That's awesome, Kokichi!" he squeals. I look him in the eyes and I can see a twinge of jealousy on his face—probably because he had to audition multiple times before getting picked, while I only had to audition once.

"Thanks," I say as Shuichi brushes strands of my hair out of my eyes. He kisses the top of my forehead and I give him a weak smile as I'm trying not to cry. Why did I sign up for this? I can't do this...

"Are you excited?" Shuichi asks. I could never fathom why he would seriously want to participate in a brutal killing game.

But instead of telling him the truth, I give him a mischievous smirk and say, "Fuck yeah!"
~
Shuichi

Present Day...

That night, I exercised with Kaito again. Despite the aching pain I get in my limbs, it helps me sweat off my frustration and intense despair that plagues me. It seems to help Kaito, too, given he hasn't punched me at all since the first class trial.

"Nice job, sidekick!" Kaito says as he finishes his fifty pushups. I don't know why he calls me that—if anything he's my sidekick. He doesn't do much during our investigations, and I'm always the one providing proof during the trials. He's kind of just... there.