𝟐𝟐. 𝐒𝐎𝐎𝐍 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘

𝐒𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐇 𝐌𝐂𝐂𝐎𝐘

"So, you not gon' be here for yo birthday?"

I could hear the sadness in Asher's voice. Some more stuff came up with work, and they're making me stay a couple more days to get it handled.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. But I'ma be home as soon as I can, I promise," I assured. Tomorrow was my birthday, and the boys wanted to take me out, so I understand how they all feel.

"Ok, I'll tell the guys," he whined. "I miss you, mama."

I pout, trying not to laugh. "I know, but like I said, I'll be home soon, baby, I promise."

He sighed, mumbling a few things under his breath. "Aight, imma tell the others with their bald-headed asses."

I giggle. "Alright, baby, I'll call y'all later."

"Bye, mama," I hung up.

Sighing as I step out of my car, securing my gun in my holster, I walk into my department and head up to Sanders' office.

*KNOCK...KNOCK*

"Come in."

I opened the door, slowly walking inside as Sanders, as usual, had his head buried in papers.

"You wanted to see me, Sanders?" I ask, taking a seat in front of him.

He took his glasses off, making eye contact with me. "Yeah, I need you to do the questioning for the kids. Max and Tommy tried questioning the boys, but they refused to speak to them. The same with the girls, but with Raina and Charlotte."

I nod as he slid over a stack of files. I opened one and saw a picture of one of the girls. There were two pictures; one before she was taken and one after.

My heart broke; she was so young, happy, and she had more weight on her than she does now. The same with the other kids.

I'm glad Aldamar is dead now; we received news a while ago that Armelio had been captured and killed a few weeks ago.

We don't know who, but we do know it was one of our rivals.

Closing the file, I ask. "Alright, are they here?"

He shook his head. "No, but they will be tomorrow. You will start with the girls, then the boys; they will be coming in separate groups."

I nod before a question I had before resurfaced. "May I ask why you want me to do it?"

He leaned back, putting his hands together. "Because out of everyone that tried to questioned them, they all asked for you," he said.

My heart warmed knowing the kids wanted me to be the one to question them. Knowing that they had been through hell, and I was the first one they met that wasn't cruel to them.

"Alright, is that all?"

He nods as he writes something down. "Yeah, that will be all, McCoy." I nod as I stand up and make my way to my door.

"Wait, McCoy." I halt my movements turning around. "Yes, Sanders?"

He smiled. "I am proud of you, and I know your mother is too."

I felt tears brim my eyes as I soaked in his words and thought about my mother. I miss her.

She's the reason why I decided to do this job because I wanted to be just like her. She was a top-tier assassin, and I am only a few steps away till I am myself.

Sanders and my mother were childhood friends. Always there for each other. And I envied them for that.

Same with me and the guys.

"Thank you, Sanders." I smiled through my tears. He came up to me and wrapped his arms around me.

I reciprocated the action and cried some more into his shoulder. "You're welcome, love. Now, get back to work."

I chuckled as I made my way out.

Let me do what Ol' Man Sanders said.