8. The Secret to Coping

Saturday, November 2nd, 2024
(Present)

Aurora's POV

Happy birthday to me.

I sit on the couch in the living room of my home, sipping on something hard. Who knew 'steps toward self-betterment' would result in me being left all alone? Dev was gone and Nia, too, had decided to take some time to herself, for herself. I shouldn't be drinking, I know, and I had no intention of getting wasted at eight in the morning, but I needed something to take the edge off.

God — and to think it's only been nine days.

Before, the date of my conception was just that – another day – but then they happened. My lovers taught me to cherish life's simple pleasures because they were moments we often took for granted.

Never again.

Today marks my 27th year. I'm the oldest out of the three of us and, yet, the most immature. I've grown a lot since being with them, and there are plenty of things I'm still learning, like how to be a better partner.

I don't bother finishing my drink but instead make my way upstairs, where I run myself a bath. The tension gradually melts from my body once it's fully submerged in hot, bubbly water. A good soak was just what I needed and was a far better alternative than drinking.

Only once my skin starts showing signs of pruning do I get out, wrapping a towel around my lower half and pulling on a bra. I rid my mouth of the smell and taste of alcohol before going downstairs.

I'm in the middle of preparing to fix myself breakfast when the sound of the doorbell rings through the mansion.

Who the hell could that be?

I inch towards the front door and discretely peek out of the frosted sidelight, catching sight of a feminine figure, but I can't make out any identifying features. She appeared to be holding something, and for that reason, I opened the door, not expecting the woman to be the one who got away.

"Devereaux?"

"Hello, Aurora."

"Hi."

Her mismatched eyes trail the length of my bare torso before darting up to meet mine again. "...Is now a bad time?"

"No, no, not at all. Please, come in," I invite, but instead of doing so, she offers the bag in her hand.

"I just came to give you this and to wish you a happy birthday."

"Really? I-I mean, thank you, but you didn't have to. Honestly, I wasn't expecting–"

"I'm hurt, Aurora, not heartless," she murmurs, frowning. "Will you take it already?"

It was no wonder why she was in a hurry, but I wasn't ready for her to go. Asking her to stick around would be a bold move, and what am I if not bold?

I take the gift, grinning. "Hey, I was about to make breakfast. Would you mind sparing me half an hour? I know I'm asking a lot, and it's probably more than I deserve, but... I'd appreciate the company."

"What about Nia?"

"She, uh, left. Not long after you."

The crease in her brow deepens in concern. "She left? Did you two...?"

"It wasn't anything bad. We agreed that space would be best while we worked through our shit. You know how it goes," I explain, somewhat awkwardly. "You know what? Forget that I even said anything. It was wrong of me t–"