Nineteen

Song: Ritual- Ryan Taubert (I highly suggest you listen when the fun starts 🫣)

AN: *Panem Anthem begins to play* WELCOME WELCOME TO THIS YEARS SEVENTY SIXTH HUNGER GAMES (trademarked by the snowmiser himself) two tributes will enter... and only one comes out... 😈

The Shadow

The Shadow

The swagger in her step vanished as quickly as it had arrived. She kept to my side as closely as she could as we entered the glowing room finely decorated with more gold and more painted ceiling.

Angels floated above our heads and in the painted clouds with spiteful faces filled with laughter as they pointed down at us.

This room was a reminder it seemed. A room made for humiliation. It made me consider what tonight's festivities were truly about.

Clearly this was some sort of testing ritual or induction rite.

I pulled my gaze from the ceiling towards the enemies that now surrounded us. Faces beneath masks of all kinds turned in our direction.

Silence. There was only silence. A hateful deathly silence.

The witch remained silent but her other hand reached to grab my arm, fingers digging into the fabric of my tux jacket.

I looked over at her, flashing a slight reassuring smile.

Focus on me, little witch. No one else exists but us.

The sound of a singular clinking glass bounced around the room. My eyes struggled to find the source. My senses were stripped.

Not good.

"Welcome, friend," a voice spoke into my mind. "I trust you found your way easily."

I felt the witch stiffen beside me. Her breathing becoming shallow.

"Whatever they're saying to you, don't pay any attention to it," I breathed, taking her into the fold.

"I'm gonna be sick," she swallowed.

"Whatever happens," I spoke softly, "they're not getting their hands on you."

"This girl is important to you. Is she not?"

I fought the urge to start ripping people open until I found the prick who was doing this.

"So what if she is," I replied.

The voice laughed. "Terrible choice for a date night. Not everyone will be leaving this mountain alive."

I cursed softly to myself.

"Try anything and you die," I snapped.

Another slow laugh. "If you can find me..."

I kept scanning the room, searching for any sign of the infernal responsible for these threats.