28

Jennie went i to the smoky maze before I did, laser gun in her hand and lights flashing from her vest.

"You have twenty minutes, your time begins now!" Said the staff and i accepted a gun from him and ducked into the maze, my own vest flashing for a moment before it went dark.

I crouched down as I made my way through the maze, squinting through the fog all the while for signs of movement. I could remember my first time in the maze with Jennie like it was yesterday and stifled a laugh at the mental image of her running widely through the fog, lights on her vest flashing. I'd thought she was adorable, then, even though I hadn't wanted to.

She was playing differently this time.

I ducked around a corner and was met with the sounds of laser-fire. Jennie had been waiting for me at the other end of the hallway. My vest lit up and i folded my arms across my chest as she pointed and laughed at me.

"Jennie one, Taehyung nothing!"

"You know, us hardcore gamers have a word for what you just did, and it isn't a complimentary term," I informed her. She just laughed at me again and ran off.

A few seconds later, my lights stopped flashing and I took off after her, winding through the hallways without regard for how much noise I was making.

I found Jennie hiding behind a smaller wall before she could make sense of where I was and mashed mg gun right into her vest as i pulled the trigger repeatedly. "Die, cretin!"

"That's not very nice," was all she said, but she was giggling at me as she stood. "You're so cute when you get into this stuff, though." She leaned in and kissed me for a moment as the lights on her vest flashed, her gun momentarily disabled. Then the lights stopped and i neat her to firing. She groaned as her vest started flashing all over again.

"Nice try," I told her, pecking her on the lips once more, and then ran off before she could use her gun again.

"It almost worked!" She called after me.

We spent the next ten minutes running around through the fog, shooting and teasing each other when we'd fund ourselves in the same area. I was sweating by the time we were nearly done, and I was also, frankly, destroying Jennie. She'd only managed to hit me twice more since shooting me that first time after I'd just entered the maze.

I found myself hiding back in one of the corner bases for the last couple of minutes, using the elevation to search for Jennie, who was nowhere to be found. For a moment, standing there in the total silence, I began to get worried. Would something happen to her in the maze? It was unlikely, but with three weeks until her birthday, I was paranoid.

But before that paranoid could manifest itself into outright panic, I felt a gun press into the back of my vest. I let out a laugh, mostly relieved. "I can't believe you snuck out here without me noticing."

"Drop the gun an put your hands where I can see them." She joked. I tried to spin around, and she immediately shot me, then smirk at me when we were faced to face.

"Okay, so you got, like, four points. I still kicked your ass."

"I improved. I said I'd get better, remember?"

"I actually only remember you telling me to 'lose the boy'," I admitted.

"Well, that too. It was fun without him."

"I like Haneul."

"Yeah, but you live me." Grinning, she leaned in to kiss me. I pressed my gun to her vest and pulled the trigger again just as the voice over the intercom told us out game was over. Jennie let her gun fall from her hands and laughed into my mouth even as she wrapped her hands around me and pulled me closer. "Overly competitive geek."