6 | Robo Mom is Freaky

After their walk around the mansion, Hesperia had opted to stay in Five's room during the funeral, but Klaus busted in and told her that Five needed his girlfriend's comfort. She had chuckled when Five grabbed the closest thing and threw it at him, Klaus just barely dodging the book.

She felt like an outsider, but Five and a few of the others--everyone but a particularly large man--made it their mission to make her feel welcomed. Luther--the particularly large man--wasn't exactly one of those people. "What is she doing out here? This is our father's funeral, she's--"

"--Now part of this family. Or at least that's what it looks like," Diego mumbled the last part, looking back to the two 18 year olds. 

"Yeah! Five's girlfriend is now one of us forever now," Klaus declared, giving Hesperia a creepy grin. The girl couldn't hold her chuckle in.

Five glared at Luther, "It's both of us or neither, so take your pick."

Hesperia's heart warmed, though she didn't show it on the outside. She noticed the other Hargreeves either looking at Five in surprise, or studying her.

They formed a circle in front of what she assumed to be their brother's, Ben's, statue. Hesperia and Five stood together, and the other siblings just stood wherever. A chimpanzee and a beautiful woman, who looked suspiciously straight out of the sixties, joined the circle, too. "Did something happen?"

Hesperia leaned close to Five's ear and whispered, "Robo mom, right?" He nodded, and she straightened up again, now slightly nervous.

"Dad died, remember?" Allison asked.

The robot looked distressed, startling Hesperia. "Oh. Yes, of course."

"Is mom okay?" Allison asked.

Diego immediately answered, "Yeah, yeah, she's fine. She just needs to rest. You know, recharge." Hesperia was getting uncomfortable, one of her biggest fears being AI. Five noticed and placed a hand on her back.

"Whenever you're ready, dear boy," the chimp said. Hesperia decided she much preferred talking animals than robots who look and act like real humans. She felt bad, because that was Five's mother, but she had always been afraid of robots. Not for any real reason, they just creeped her out.

There was a tense silence as everyone watched Luther open the urn and pour the ashes straight down in a chunk. The silence turned awkward as he looked up again. "Probably would have been better with some wind."

Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

"Does anyone wish to speak?" There were no volunteers, so the chimp did it himself. "Very well. In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreeves made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master... and my friend, and I shall miss him very much. He leaves behind a complicated legacy--"

Hesperia noticed the look on Diego's face, and braced herself. 

"He was a monster." Klaus laughed. "He was a bad person and a worse father. The world's better off without him."

Dang, say how you really feel.

"Diego," Allison warned.

"My name is Number Two. You know why? Because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names. He had mom do it."

"Would anyone like something to eat?" The robot asked in a perky tone, already forgetting why they stood out there. Hesperia leaned back a little, and Five's hand that was still on her back started rubbing soothing circles on it.

"No, it's okay, mom."

"Oh, okay."

"Look, you wanna pay your respects? Go ahead. But at least be honest about the kind of man that he was." Hesperia was slightly impressed. She felt they could potentially become friends.