Prologue

**Not edited or proofread!**

There was something about a small town that just called to me. After living in the city all of my life, I was tired of the constant hustle and bustle. Everyone was always doing something. It seemed like no one ever took the time to just rest.

And God, I wanted to rest.

My parents had pushed me so hard all throughout my childhood and my teenage years to always do better. What I did never seemed to be enough for them. And it continued on through college.

So, when I graduated, I finally did something for me. I applied for a part-time veterinarian position in a small town in Tennessee, which was a pretty far cry from my life in New York City.

Had my parents been furious? Yes. Did I care? Maybe a little, but I just needed to be free. And they never let me just be my own person.

It was always all about them.

My fingers drummed on the steering wheel to the soft sound of rock playing through my car speakers. I'd gone out to get groceries this morning and was currently on my way back home.

There hadn't been much in the way of places to rent in this small town, but thankfully, my boss and her husband had a loft over their barn that they allowed me to rent from them for an extremely cheap price. Two hundred dollars a month. I sure wasn't complaining, especially since the place was so quiet. And they'd insulated it well enough that I didn't hear any of the farm hands throughout the day or their animals down below.

It was absolutely perfect.

I rolled up the dirt drive, my car bumping along until I pulled up next to the barn, right beside the door that led straight up to my loft. I had to pass the animals on my way in, but I didn't really mind it. Besides, the horses loved when I gave them carrots.

I pulled open the door, and suddenly, Bax darted out, his black fur standing straight up.

And he rushed straight for the tree.

"Bax!" I screeched, dropping my purse on the ground. "Bax, no!"

Oh, God, I must have left the door to the loft open by accident. It was the only way he could have gotten out. He wasn't used to such big animals, and he'd never been outside since I adopted him as a tiny, itty bitty kitten.

Panicked, I looked around for Grayson, but his truck was gone, and all of his farm hands were out in the field. Drawing in a deep breath, my eyes back on Bax who was super high up in the tree, I pulled up the number to the local fire department.

I was about to become known as the town's crazy cat lady before I'd ever had my first freaking day of work.