21. Poppy

The morning sun splashes its rays generously onto my semi-naked body

With a glass of vodka-slush in one hand, I use my other free hand to balance my book in place so that it blocks the sun from my vision. As much as I'd like to think I'm taking in the words, I'm not. Not really. My mind is still circling back around the events of last night. Namely, the kiss I shared with Alvaro.

     I mean, it wasn't just a kiss. It wasn't a dumb result of drinking too much and giving into my inhibitions. It was a tender, heartfelt, passionate kiss that stemmed from my episode of releasing everything I've kept locked up for so long. It's strange really; Zara is the only one who really knows what I've been through. Only now, so does Alvaro. And in the grand scheme of things, he's really just a Spanish boy that I barely know.

I shake my head as anxiety looms in my stomach. Lying here on my own isn't helping the situation. I need to talk it through with Zara, but she hasn't awoken yet, though, judging by her late arrival back to the room (1am) I doubt I'll be greeted by a sight of her until at least midday. I was worried at first—I thought Diego had kidnapped her and I was readying myself to search the streets of Ibiza—but thankfully she arrived back in a drunken yet ecstatic state. She passed out as soon as she made contact with the bed, so I'm not sure how her night went yet. Though, judging by the smile that ripped through her cheeks when she drunkenly peeled her dress off of her body, I imagine it went quite well.

    I'm about to start on some laps around the hotel vicinity when someone grabs hold of my shoulder. I use my free hand to shield the sun from my eyes, taking in the tall, blonde man in front of me, his blue eyes dancing against the shimmering pool waters.

     "Hey!" He says, animatedly. "You've been here a few nights now, right?" His Australian accent carries across the poolside. His body is toned, tanned and glistening with a sheen of sweat. "I'm Brad, by the way. My mates and I are staying here too. I thought, maybe, we could all hang out one night. You have a friend with you too, huh?"

     I reposition my towel across the sun bed. "Yeah that's correct. I'm Poppy." I shake hands with the large surfer boy. "My friend, Zara, she's still asleep."

     "Awesome. We're room 392. Maybe you can come round for some pre drinks tonight? Then we can all hit the strip together."

    I nod and smile, scoping out Brad's friends as they huddle around the bar. Two other Aussie guys with broad muscles and glossy hair; hair to be envious of. Regardless of how much Zara is attracted to Diego, she won't turn down a night on the town with some obviously attractive Australian men either. To her, this holiday is all about playing the field.

     I tell Brad that I'll see him later and make to the bar to replenish my pallet. My Coke is being poured when Zara appears at my side, her hair rolled into a bun and her cheeks flushed a fresh pink. For the first time this holiday, she doesn't look hungover. Her eyebrows wiggle as she orders in a vodka lemonade for herself.

      "Hair of the dog?" I ask with eagerness.

      Zara shakes her head. "Much more than that. I'm celebrating." Her lips quirk and she dances off to the sun lounger next to mine.

      "Celebrating?" I ask with hesitation as I follow. "And may I ask what you are celebrating?"

     "Sex," Zara says like it's no big deal, her shoulders shrugging at the same time her tongue darts to her lip. "My first fuck this holiday."

    I roll my eyes and shake my head. "You didn't."

     "Uh-huh. On the beach. Oh and let me tell you, Diego has an impressive package."

I shake my head, hoping in doing so I'll shake away the image of Diego and Zara getting hot and heavy on the sand. "I'm glad you had a good night. Though I must admit I was worried. You came back late."

     She taps me on the nose. "Don't stress. So tell me.  How did your night go?"

     Of course my stomach tingles with butterflies as my mind dances back to last night. All I can seem to think about is Alvaro and when I might see him again. I didn't even give myself the chance to entertain that opportunity, because I ran off as soon as we exchanged our last kiss. Shit.

"It was good," I say indifferently. "Romantic. Good views."

     "Good views, as in, Alvaro?" Zara asks with playful curiosity.

     I release some air from my lips, almost disguising my laugh. "I guess you could say that."

It's true that Alvaro was pleasure to my eyes the whole night. Of course it's obvious that he has a body to die for—the stares from every girl on the island don't go unnoticed to me—but underneath there is something much more. He's a boy that's had to grow up too fast. I know, because I had to as well. Deep down, I know there is a part of him that cares for more than meaningless sex and late night benders.

"So, did you?" Zara asks, ripping me from my thoughts. I briefly wonder how long I've been staring into the abyss, my mind recalling every detailed moment of last night.

"Did I what?" I ask apprehensively.

"You know, have sex?"

"What? God no."

I may not judge Zara's choices when it comes to boys, but sleeping around just isn't me. Perhaps it's to do with how my body was used as an object when I was only a child, but on some level I think I've always been saving my virginity for someone who deserves to take it. Right now, I'm not sure it's Alvaro. I mean, I don't know him well enough. Besides, this is a holiday. I'm not going to be seeing him again after the minute I leave this place.

      "Well," Zara purses her lips thoughtfully. "There's still time."

    I roll my eyes and collapse onto my stomach, letting the sun's rays scorch my back. The sensation is heavenly and briefly allows my mind to stop racing. Alvaro might only be a stranger I've known for a few days, but there's no denying how fast my heart beats when I think about him, let alone kiss him. Out of shot of Zara's teasing eyes, I allow myself to smile.