Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Sometimes I miss the excitement of going to a video store and searching the isles for something to watch. I swear it was much easier to find something because now I'm just endlessly scrolling through lists of curated movies and tv shows. I also just don't like change, especially when I'm comfortable.

I can't find anything interesting enough to keep my mind from the thoughts racing through my mind. I don't want to deal with the unopened message from Kyle, and I certainly don't want to discuss the time I spent with Blake.

How could I say no to somebody who needs my help? So it just happens to be Blake, my crush.

Here I go again, thinking about one of the things I'm trying to distract myself from.

I rub my hands over my face and sigh. At some point, I will need to deal with Kyle but I don't have the energy to do it now. Perhaps in a few days, he'll forget about the almost kiss and we can go back to the way things were before.

There's a knock on the front door and Mum wanders down to answer it.

"Hi, Elenor," Kyle says. "Is Ava home?"

"Of course, she's in the lounge room watching tv."

"Oh no," I grumble.

I press myself flat against the couch and squeeze my eyes shut. If I can't see him, he can't see me, right?

Their approaching footsteps have me sitting up and forcing a surprised smile.

"Hey Kyle, I didn't know you were coming over."

"You weren't replying to my messages, so I had to see if you were still alive. Looks like you're preoccupied with looking for something to watch."

"I think it'll be my forever struggle." I sigh.

Kyle plonks on the couch beside me and kicks his shoes off. I pass him the remote and he flicks through the different lists.

"Should we have a movie afternoon, I can grab some blankets?"

"Sure." Kyle grins. "It's a bit cold here."

"Okay." I nod.

I grab two fluffy blankets from the cupboard and hand him one. I bundle myself up and squish into the corner of the couch, far away from Kyle. He clicks play on a tv show and adjusts the blanket across his lap. He inches closer, so I swing my legs up and stretch out.

Kyle frowns and scratches the back of his head.

I try to focus on the opening credits, but I keep peeking at Kyle who's peeking at me. I can feel the tension and the burning desire to ask me about Blake's house.

"How about snacks? Are you hungry?"

I shove the blanket aside and dash to the kitchen. Before I can make it to the cupboard, Mum steps in my way and nudges her head towards the lounge room.

"What's wrong with you two? You never ignore Kyle."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Ava Greyson!" She frowns. "There's something off between the two of you."

I clasp my fingers together and stare at the tiled floor.

"I think Kyle tried to kiss me." I sigh. "We were mucking around the other night and then his face came very close to mine and I jumped back before anything could happen."

"You should talk about it if you're this worried."

"What if I was wrong and our faces were just close together?"

"Just talk to him about it."

"I would rather pretend it didn't happen because I don't want our friendship to change."

"Honey, everything has changed since Logan passed."

"I know, but this, our friendship, isn't allowed to change. I can't lose my best friend especially now I've lost my brother."

"Okay." She nods.

She opens her arms and I fall into her warm gentle embrace. She squeezes me and rubs her hands over my back.

"Everything will be okay," she whispers.

Mum kisses the top of my head and steps to the side so I can continue to the cupboard. I gather some snacks and drinks for the movie and place them on the coffee table. Kyle reaches for the chips while I dive under the blanket and wiggle around in an attempt to get comfortable.

Kyle pats his lap and I give in. I place my head on his lap and wrap the blanket around me. He runs his fingers through my hair and I sigh. This is what I don't want to change. But just like trips to the movie store, everything eventually changes.

His fingers slide over my temple and twirl through my hair. His soft touch sends goosebumps down my arms.

"You don't want to talk about Blake, that's fine. I'm worried you'll get hurt and I don't want to see you upset again."

I grab his hand and wrap his arm around me.

"Perhaps I will get hurt but I couldn't walk away from somebody who asked for my help. Could you walk away from me?"

"No, I could never do that."

* * * * *