Look Out the Window

The window looking out into my backyard is always hard to look out of at night. That's to be expected, though. It is very dark. When I let out my dogs after I feed them, it's usually dark out. One of my dogs never goes outside for long, though. Always scratching the door and barking to be let in. The way my dog  Amber attacks the door would make you think she was being hunted.
     Tonight isn't that different. I let the dogs out, only to hear adamant scratches at the door a moment later. I reasure myself it's just Amber and the boys. Amber always comes in first, then my pug Albus, then my boxer mix Oliver.
    I give it a moment until I go to the door. I look outside to the patio lit up by the patio light hanging up out there. Sure enough, Amber is ready to come in. I unlock the door and open it for my dog to come rushing in.
     Today, Amber looks shook, I don't pay too much mind to it as she usually looks like that. I help her to her room and lock her up. I wait until I hear Albus barking at something outside. I let the little dog in before leading him to my brother's room.
     Oliver doesn't bark or scratch the door, never. He just sits on a patio chair or right next to the door. I go back to look outside but don't find Oliver waiting. I know he really likes being outside, so I just wait a bit longer.
     I wait and wait. And wait. Wait some more. I check the window again and decide to go outside. I call for Oliver, and I see his stark white body coming around the side of the house. It gives me a jump every time, but I shake it off and lead the dog inside. I don't look behind me as I open the door and let the old boy in first.
     Amber barks at the window, and I turn around but see nothing. I stare at the curtain clad window before approaching it. I open the curtain and look outside for a moment. I shrug and turn off the patio light and lock the door. I should have looked behind me.