The next few days Doris spent at Eva's, recounting the afternoon she'd spent at the Dakota that had included meeting her younger brother, as well as reading, exploring the neighborhood on morning walks, and listening to the records her aunt had – a far vaster range of music than Helen had ever played.

The only music she'd heard in Helen's house was what came from the TV as she watched her father perform. Doris had asked about the new album of John's, the one she'd seen people standing around holding copies of, hoping John would come by and sign them. Eva, however, didn't have it.

Best to wait till the initial sale craze goes down, then get one for cheaper, Eva advised her wisely. In the meantime, Eva had a host of other albums, mostly from the 70s but also quite a few from the 60s as well. Doris had great fun that week exploring all different styles and genres, all of which she'd never heard much of before. The most exposure she'd gotten to anything new was whatever would play out of car windows when she'd been at Fordham.

Doris talked to her aunt plenty about college as well. She actually seemed interested in what Doris had to report; Helen never had – and though that made sense now, considering who Helen really was, it was just nice to have somebody who cared.

Even though all this was so very nice, it was getting to be a bit boring by the end of the week. Living here was a hundred times more pleasant than being isolated from everything exciting and real as she would have been at Helen's house, but all the rising action of the past two weeks had culminated in a pretty anticlimactic plateau.

Doris wanted to return to the Dakota; she already missed her little brother and hoped to see him again soon. And she longed to at last meet her father in person. She'd gotten so close last time, but had just missed him, and the thought of that still disappointed her now.

She was sure he was busy and all, but couldn't he have even one day off to meet his child? Doris knew she wasn't being fair in thinking that, but she couldn't help being a little jealous of her younger brother, who'd spent much of their playtime talking about all the fun things he loved to do with his daddy.

Doris was beginning to think Yoko had forgotten her. She'd called the number Yoko had given her, and given Eva's number to Yoko in return, but there had been no further correspondence since. Until-

"Doris, it's for you!"

She pushed the lever on the turntable, lifting the needle from the groove right in the middle of "Temporary Secretary" and hurried out to the living room.

"Yes? Hello?"

"Is that you, Doris?"

"Mrs. Lennon?"

"You may call me Yoko."

"Yoko?"

"John and I have discussed it, and we are ready to have you come back on December 7."

"December 7?" she echoed, glancing at Eva who nodded and gave her a thumbs-up.

"Yes. And if you'd like, you can stay overnight for a few nights, if your aunt accepts."

"She's standing next to me nodding her head, so I think we're a go," Doris chuckled.

"I'm glad. We'll see you then. Sean has missed you."

"Tell him I've missed him too. Thank you for calling! And inviting me."

"Of course. Good day." And she set the receiver down before Doris had a chance to say anything back. She set the phone down and beamed at Eva.

That was a nice surprise.