3. Countdown to 'I Do' Behind the Scenes of Our Wedding Preparations

Following this, events unfolded rapidly, as both families engaged in the tradition of horoscope matching and conducted multiple subsequent visits, ultimately leading to the organization of our marriage.

We opted for a simple engagement ceremony, with only close family members in attendance, considering the short time frame before our upcoming wedding, set to take place within two months. Despite our frequent meetings during this period, our conversations were often brief due to our conflicting work schedules—He worked the morning shift while I worked evenings. By the time he returned home from work, I would already be heading out, leaving little opportunity for extended personal interaction amidst our professional commitments and wedding preparations. Yet, we continue the habit of exchanging daily good morning and good night messages ever since our marriage was arranged.

Gireesh, also known as Giri, my prospective husband, grew closer to my father, engaging in more interactions with him than with me. Perhaps he saw a father figure in mine; his demeanor suggests he had a nurturing upbringing. His mother appears reserved yet highly organized, her actions conveying more than her words. She must have endured much to raise them after her husband's passing. Gayathri has been pleasant to me, despite us only meeting twice before the engagement. With her young children, she is always by their side. From our brief conversation, I gathered that she resides with her in-laws while her husband works abroad. He will be joining us for the wedding.

It was decided that we would shop for both weddings together, given the short time frame between mine and Anitta's, which is scheduled just 10 days after mine. A date was finalized based on the availability of Giri and Pradeep. All three of us were instructed to take time off, and our families convened at the shop for the purchases. The elders began the selection process using a prepared list, while we were tasked with choosing our own attire. Splitting into couples, we started by browsing sarees. However, feeling uncomfortable witnessing Anitta and Pradeep's affectionate gestures, Giri noticed my discomfort and kindly escorted me to another section.

While selecting sarees, we engaged in a brief conversation, during which I sensed he was making an effort to get to know me better, and I must admit, I appreciated his approach. When we encountered difficulty in making a decision, we enlisted the help of Anish and Gayu, who joined us in the selection process. Eventually, we narrowed down our choices to four sarees and asked our parents to select two from them. After a busy day of shopping, we managed to purchase nearly all the clothing required for the pre-wedding, wedding, and post-wedding festivities. At one point, his mother accompanied me to the ladies section, where she selected some dresses for me based on her and Gayu's preferences.

We all enjoyed lunch together, and as evening approached, we headed home. Anitta's in-laws, much like our family, were down-to-earth, and everyone bonded well during the shopping trip. In the following days, wedding invitations were printed, keeping Papa and Mom busy as they extended invitations to relatives. Anish lent a helping hand to Papa, assisting him every step of the way, as both weddings were approaching and everyone had their hands full with preparations.

With Papa's approval, Giri invited me out on one Saturday. During our outing, he introduced me to some of his friends, and we purchased our wedding ring as suggested by his mother. After informing Dad, I also selected a ring according to Giri's preferences. Through our conversations and the day spent together, I gained further insight into his life, including his job and his outlook. He reassured me of his support and expressed his willingness to tackle life's challenges together. He emphasized the importance of standing by each other during both the good times and the bad. His demeanor struck me as mature and comforting, unlike my younger brother Anish, who tends to react impulsively without considering others' perspectives.

He joined us for tea in the evening and spent some time with Dad discussing wedding arrangements and other matters. After a while, he departed, and I could sense Dad was impressed by Giri's demeanor; if someone were to inquire, I'd say Dad favored Giri over Anish. With summer vacation in full swing, Mom, Anitta, and Pradeep had sufficient leave days, while Anish, Giri, and I reserved ours for the upcoming wedding festivities. Personally, the vacation timing didn't affect me much due to my evening shift, although it did disrupt my sleeping schedule somewhat.

I shared the news of my upcoming wedding with my close friends and extended invitations to everyone, including Arjun. I managed to secure one month's leave for the wedding, assuring my employer that I'd be available to work from home in case of any emergencies, though I secretly doubted any such emergencies would arise. 😄

As the wedding day approached, my friends, cousins, and all our relatives gathered. We celebrated with a Mehandi night, although Anitta decided to apply hers a few days later to ensure its color lasted for her wedding day. During the festivities, Anish introduced his girlfriend to us, and Dad and Mom accepted her warmly, promising to speak with her parents soon. The atmosphere was filled with happiness all around.

Later that night, after everyone had retired to bed, Mom and Dad came to speak with me. They offered comforting words and shared some advice for the upcoming days. Dad expressed some concern about the pace of the arrangements, but I reassured him that everything was fine. Mom chimed in, reassuring him that Giri was the best choice we could have made. Dad affectionately remarked, "He's certainly better than our son. Poor boy, it seems like he misses his father very much."